Speech & Language Disorders Community
20 month old speech problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

20 month old speech problems

My 20 month old son does not have any words, he babbles a lot but no real words.  He also does not follow any simple instructions.  He acts as if he doesn't understand speech.  He understands my facial and body language.  If I say NO for him to stop doing something he will react only if my face is disapproving and I am waiving to him in my disapproving way.  I can say ANY word or even babble as long as I make certain faces and motions he reacts and is totally lost if there is no facial or body language.  

He has a terrible time if people try and talk to him or if we are in a group of people who are talking.  He gets angry, anxious, cries a lot and tries to get me to take him away from it all.   He has been evaluated twice for hearing and it is fine.  He has seen a Developmental Pediatrician and is not on the ASD spectrum. He has been evaluated by a speech pathologist and is way far behind on his receptive language.  And as far as his expressive language he is at about a 10 month old level.

I am curious to know if anyone has ever heard of a child not understanding speech as if he speaks another language or something.  If you have any clue as to what might be the problem or things that the speech pathologist and I can do or look for would be greatly appreciated.
Yes it is possible, but it can accompany an autistic spectrum disorder.  I don't know if you can have difficulties with receptive speech and not be on the autistic spectrum.
Although your son has been evaluated and ruled not to be on the spectrum, I would still want a second opinion on that in the near future.
He isn't old enough yet to assess his social interaction skills, but they should start to emerge soon.  Has he met all of his milestones.  
My son is on the autistic spectrum and he too can recognise facial expressions and gestures.
My son has been assessed by the schools Speech and Language Therapist and also recently by a private Speech and Language Therapist.
Does he have any sensory issues?  Does he appear deaf, or cover his ears at noise.  Does he avoid certain foods/smells?  Is his balance and co-ordination okay.  Does he seem fascinated by anything such as ripping up paper, lights, shiny things etc.
My son is 7 and has the following speech/communication disorders that I would recommend you read up on and see if any of them are relevant to your son.
Echolalia = this is repeating words or dialogues said to them or heard on TV.  They can repeat it straight away or hours/days later.  They can also mimick sounds.
Auditory Processing Disorder = hearing is 100% okay, but their 'processing' of langugae is different.  They don't hear sound in the same way and when they speak they mis-pronounce words or use the wrong words.
Apraxia/Dyspraxia = This is when they cannot put their mouth into the shape to form the letter/word sound.  This can also affect thought so if they cannot organise their thoughts they cannot organise their speech.
Semantic Pragmatic Disorder = these children do learn to talk, but they speak as if their native language is their second language.  They tend to take language literally and don't understand sayings or certain types of humour.
My son has been assessed as age appropriate for his expressive speach, but his receptive speech is much lower.  This is due to all the above difficulties as well as delayed processing of language.
He has met all his milestones except for speech and language.  He does not have any interest in spinning objects.  He doesn't seem to have any sensory issues.  He eats pretty much anything (as long as it tastes good to him).  Coordination is great, he loves to run play and climb.  

I am in the process of getting a third opinion on autistim.  He behaves as if he has the APD from what the SLP explained.  He acts as if he can't quite understand what you say.  And his hearing is 100%.  

Thanks I am definitely keeping an open mind and trying to test for everything.
Look up the other conditions I listed and see if any of them are relevant.
I am and I I just looked up the Apraxia and it could very well be.  Except for the trouble eating.  He does have a bit of slobbering but I thought that might be because he was doing some more teething.  But I am still looking at everything you mentioned.  Thx.