Speech & Language Disorders Community
4 Year Old Behavior Problems and No talking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

I don't know what to do about my son, he refuses to talk but understands everything. We finally got him potty trained right after his 4th birthday when he was younger he would start arching back, screaming and flailing no scream "No". Somehow we finally  trained with persistence and encouragement him but the language barrier is still the problem and he lashes out and throws fits. In the home he behaves normally but he doesn't talk to us, doesn't want to do art or letters, he just want to play and flips out when we try to teach him. Even teaching him to play with a new toy is hard. He is an only child and doesn't know how to share and snatches things from us his parents and other children. He retaliates but throwing things across the room or at people, even us his parents. He has been in 4 daycare/schools in the past 2 years in total. The problem got worse with age the behavior isn't improving but he is very slowly asking for things and repeating but no actual conversations. We had all kinds of screenings done and everything is normal and we are now scheduled a pediatric neurologist and he said he isn't autistic but we will be doing and EEG soon. The worse part is he behaves normally in some restaurants and uses utensils and says give me please and points but other than that I got nothing good from behavior from him. How do I get him to talk and behave?
Frankly, I feel that your son does have some autistic traits.  This does not mean that he suffers from autism but that he displays some autistic traits but in a small enough amount that he will not be diagnosed as such.  Has the doctor ever mentioned PDD-NOS - pervasive developmental disorder - not otherwise specified?  Try googling this term and see if the behaviours described remind you of your son.   My nephew suffers from PDD-NOS and with intervention and early treatment, he is doing so well.  All the best ....
I'm sorry that you're having such difficulties.

First, let me just say that it is not appropriate to offer any type of diagnosis in this or any other forum.  It does sound like you're headed in the right direction with seeking answers via an MD evaluation.  However, I would suggest that a DEVELOPMENTAL PEDIATRICIAN is the person you go to for a complete evaluation of your child, given the kinds of behaviors you're describing.  A pediatric neurologist is looking of medical reasons for what is happening with your child and more often than not will find anything physically wrong.  

In addition, if you have not sought an evaluation from your school district's child study team (a group of professionals consisting of a social worker, teacher, psychologist, and/or a speech-language pathologist, occupational therapist/physical therapist, learning specialist) I would urge you to do so.  It sounds like he may need a more specialized learning environment than a typical daycare or preschool setting.

I wish you much luck.  If you need additional resources, and you are located in the US, please contact your local school district or your state health department.  

Take your child to an SLP. They will help you out better than we can. Good luck.
I would get your child a speech therapist as quickly as you can. I am pretty sure your child is acting out because he is having trouble communicating. If it's frustrating you, just imagine how frustrating it is for him? He understands what you are saying, but can't say anything back. I would hate that. An SLP can help you come up with ways to get him to talk and help him work on his behavior.