Speech & Language Disorders Community
Childs behavior

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Childs behavior

My aunts 12 year old son fondled my 4 year old daughter. I am heartbroken and don't know what to do. Please help me with advice.
i feel so sorry for you ,, the shock alone ,, those your daughter realise whats happened ,, try and keep her as innocent and yet known she can come to ye at all times,, at 12 you ,d think he,d know better ,, has any one gave him the talk ,, ,,, ,, this has touched on our own door of late ,, both parents of each side sit down and talk to him ,, things wont be the same again ,, we , feel like shaking them ,, but if any thing else happened they would,nt come to us again and your daughter cant think its her fault  ,, sending my love and silent prayer
I'm so sorry you have had to experience this.  I don't understand what is going on but this stuff seems to be happening more & more in the last few years.  Obviously you know how serious this is, but you can't let it take over everything.  He needs to know that what he did was not ok, & your daughter of course needs to know that NO ONE has the right to touch her in such a way.  Have you spoken to his parents?  I think that's the 1st step to it & make sure they actually do..  The next step is to contact a social worker as they have ways of talking to her to find out exactly what happened without being pushy as we as parents can be when trying to deal with issues like these.  At the age of 12 he should know that touching a girl there isn't ok, but every parent will tell you something different.  IF you think it was more then a harmless touch you may want to get her seen by a dr.  AGAIN something parents differ their opinions on.  If your daughter wants to talk to you about what happened PLEASE be there to let her talk, but you can't ask her questions..... you need to basically sit there emotionless & listen.  If she sees it upsets you then she'll get upset & not want to talk.  She needs to know that you are there for her no matter what.

I went through this years ago between my younger brother & my daughter & to this day the entire family has sided with him & shown NO support to her.  She was 4 when she finally came to me & told me what had happened & after awhile found out that it had been going on a lot longer then the 1 time.  I REFUSE to allow either of my girls to be in that home without me, the brother is not allowed near my kids & I cut contact with most of my family for siding with a 17 yr old old disturbed child over a 4 yr old who still 3 years later (now almost 8) has nightmares about him touching her.  

I hope you can find someone to help you through this.  Feel free to message me & I will do my best to help you through this.  I had no idea where to turn when it happened to my daughter either & DON'T for 1 second regret the steps I took.  At least now my daughter knows she can come to me with anything & I'll be there to protect her. :-)

GOOD LUCK. thoughts are with you & your daughter now
Melissa