Speech & Language Disorders Community
Childs development

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Childs development

I have an 11 yr old son who has always had difficulty in school.  he is not disruptive, very respectful and always has to put alot of effort in his school work to barely achieve a passing grade and some D's, which does not go unnoticed by his teachers.  The meetings with his teachers have always been positive with some concern about how much effort is put in and the low academic results.  This year, IEP testing was suggested???  What I do notice (as a Mother) is that he is always picked last by his peers, for teams, he gets very frustrated when he is not included eventhough on the team, and is very sensitive ( as I am), crys easily, and very disorganized.  Academically, his writing is very sloppy, has a very hard time putting a three, four paragraph essay together.  He seems to have a better grasp on math, word problems are a slight  problem, it takes him longer to do but does understand.  What do I need to look for???  Is there a learning dissability? mentally delayed?
He could very well be, but as I do not know your son, or do I have a degree in therapy.  I can tell you that testing him would be a good idea, because they can tell you exactly what is wrong.  Do not be ashamed that your son has a problem, many people do.  I am going to tell you that if you just let him go, he will have more problems down the line.  If he needs an IEP it will not change how much you love him, or the fact that he is your son.  It will mean that he will do better in school, and won't have such a hard time.  If you are scared you can probably even take your son to a developmental predication
If I were you I would talk to specialmom or diva2317, they both have children that have learning disabilities.  
There are so many things that could be wrong with him, and I think you will probably always wonder.  This is your chance to find out what is wrong with him and what is the best way to go about fixing it.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  I have scheduled an IEP test.  I think like you stated that it would be wise to catch this early, this way we can work on it prior entering adulthood and prepare him with the tools to help him do better in school.

SZtrainee