Speech & Language Disorders Community
Complains of repeating words that are spoken

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

My 6 year old daughter has been complaining that every time someone talkes or she hears a sound, she repeats it back in her head.  It seems like she is describing an echo of sorts.  She has a very good memory and I bet this is why but now she says it is really annoying.  I wish I knew what was going on so I can help her.  She does not speak the words back to you but she hears them back in her head.  Can anyone help?
It might be an auditory processing problem.  What is her memory like?
I experienced that same issue as a child around the same age.  It was something I grew out of, but as I remember it was more than annoying at the time.  It was accompanied by some slightly obsessive behaviors, all of which ceased within a year.  Behaviors included constantly asking permission along with a fear of being disobedient.  I'm told now that such mental activity is common among gifted children.

I think it has little to do with memory.  If it is like what I felt, it is clear to the child that the voice is coming from within the mind (as opposed to it sounding like it is actually being spoken by some invisible person) but it is still a "voice" repeating either the last word or sound/word portion that was said/heard.

I'm glad to say I'm healthy, at age 23, and a college grad.  I wouldn't worry if I were you, as I had no mental illness to speak of.  I asked one of my UNC college professors about this once and he said that such mental activity is incredibly common and not to worry about.  Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I have a BA in psychology.

Maybe take the child in for psychological evaluation if it would relieve you and get an IQ test while you're there.  It is actually interesting for me to read about someone else having this problem, as it is a first.
Good afternoon!

My 5 yr old daughter just started complaining of the same exact thing.  Pretty much word for word of what you described is what my, very-thorough, daughter said.  I was actually quite impressed with the level of her description!  It was quite alarming at first, but after reading this I feel a little better.

Anyway, we visited the doctor today and, like we guessed, there was nothing wrong with her ears or hearing.  He actually said give it a few weeks to see if any fluid that may be in there clears up (because we did just go on a plane to Florida AND went swimming) and if it's still a problem we would visit again.

I will keep you posted, please do as well.
Thank you for sharing your story!

I am hoping this goes away for my daughter, 5 yrs, as well, but if it takes a while I am glad to hear someone who is grown, and doesn't seem affected, got through it.
My 5 year old has just starting the same thing too. She says that sometimes the last thing spoken is repeated back to her. Again she knows it's in her head. It is very unnerving, so it's great to hear of someone who's had it and grown out of it.

If anyone has more experiences or advice, I'd be grateful.

My 9 yo daughter c/o this several months ago and then not again until last night.  She said sometimes it's something she's said or sung or something she sees.  She said it is annoying.  I'm glad to see that people are saying they've grown out of it.  I figure it is anxiety related as we've had a lot of changes in our lives lately and she has had a few instances of misbehavior that are unlike her usual behavior.  She is also a thumb sucker (has been since infancy).  She has curtailed that so she mostly only does it at home and mostly when distressed or tired.  I will be watching for more complaints of the word repetition issue and call her doctor if she has a lot of complaints about it.  Otherwise I'm paying attention to trying to keep stress levels down.  She is still doing well in school and has several friends--seems ok that way.