Speech & Language Disorders Community
Global Developmental Delay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Global Developmental Delay

My husband and I are considering adopting a 6 year old boy who has been diagnosed with Global Developmental Delay and he previously had surgery to correct his tongue tie.  I am not familiar with this diagnosis and would like to learn more.  He has severe speech delay and often uses gestures instead of words to communicate.  When prompted to use words he will attempt to do so but after time seems to get tired and frustrated.  The most words I've heard him speak in a sentence was five.  Usually he speaks one to two words at a time.  He was enrolled in an IEP in Kindergarten and his reports indicate an approximate 25% delay.  We'd like to learn more so we'll know what to expect.    
I do not know much about the condition you speak of. However, I would like to commend you on wanting to adopt a special needs child. I am married with a 6 month old. He is showing signs of delays. I was recently diagnosed with cancer and we are thinking of putting the baby up for adoption so he will have a mom and dad to give him a better chance at life. This gives me hope that there are people out there who are willing to put themselves out there for these children. God bless you and I hope you get the answers you need.