Speech & Language Disorders Community
I'm British, but I have an American accent?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Born in England, raised in England, with English parents. I had quite a good English accent growing up, my pronunciation was fine, all was well. When playing doll-games with one of my longest friends, we put on American accents for the American characters. She moved to the other side of the country when I was around 11, and as she wasn't the first of my friends to do so, it's probably accurate to say that I was pretty distressed by it. At around that time, an American accent started to form. Not entirely, but my pronunciation of some words is 'Americanized' to the point where I'm generally mistaken for an American. I overemphasize my 'r's and pronounce numerous 't's as 'd's. For example, I say 'wa-der' for water, rather than 'war-tuur' like everyone else. People have suggested that I watch too much American TV, or did when I was younger, but I watched equal amounts of British and American TV. There's little in the way of an explanation for my relatively American accent, but I've been wondering whether there's some kind of psychological cause behind it? Is anyone else familiar with someone that has an accent from a country they're not from? All I've found online in terms of an explanation is that accent changes can sometimes occur after brain injuries, but I haven't had any.