Speech & Language Disorders Community
Initial consonant deletion in one word only - Mom

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

My almost three year old has the vocabulary of a four year old. He has one specific problem which is more of a habit than a speech disorder. He drops the first consonant of the word Mom. Only the word Mom. (Which is why I'm so frustrated by it.) I say it's a habit, because he's perfectly capable of saying it correctly, but he's gotten into the habit of not doing it. And it's only when the word is at the end of a sentence, not the beginning. For example. "Look at this, Om!" "What are you doing, Om?" but when used at the beginning of a sentence, it's "Mom, what are you doing?"

If I correct him, he says it perfectly clear: "Look at this, Mom!" "What are you doing, Mom?" You get the picture. I find myself correcting him all the time, though, and it must be frustrating for him. (He says, "What are you doing, Om?" and I say "What are you doing, MOM?" Then he repeats it back to me.) I just don't want to be "Om" anymore. What should I be doing? Any tips or help would be appreciated.
Tags: initial consonant deletion, toddler, Preschooler, Speech, language, dropping consonants, Habit
Very cute but frustrating. Have you tried saying in a light/cheerful way, "Are you talking to me? You said Om and I'm Mom, so I knew it couldn't be me." Or, since his language is so good, "Om? That's a Buddhist chant: Ommm. I wonder where you learned that." And happily continue what you are doing. Do not respond immediately when he says Om, and appear confused after 2-3 seconds before checking whether he is talking to you, etc.

You are giving him feedback that he doesn't say what he think he is saying. If he gets what he wants by saying Om, why change? If it's not getting him anywhere, he will likely pick up the correct pronunciation. The key is to keep things lighthearted and nonconfrontational, so that he is focused on processing the sound difference.

BC