Speech & Language Disorders Community
Milestone Delay?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Milestone Delay?

Hello Doc,

This is regarding my 10 year old cousin who from my google searches I'm afraid is suffering from milestone delay.Its not his physique that poses as a problem but his mental attitude which is not up to par with normal 10 year olds.He was in fact a victim of this behaviour for quite a long. But now I believe he has improved a lot in it. He really is fantasized about drawings and colours that he spends most of his time doing so. He never spares a paper to be left unused. Most of the objects he likes to canvas is all something that has to do with killings,say guns(I was amazed to see what all he comes up with in it),swords and so on. He will watch cartoons and killings(Transformers and so) all day long if he is allowed to,and he never lets go of them when on it.Even though he is quite a piece of art in colours,he isn't capable of distinguishing between them.
                                                   The English alphabets is another thing that's of a concern. Though he is capable of saying what each letter is, he isn't capable of saying the entire stretch in the correct order. I haven't tried working with him in numbers which soon enough we'll try our hand. The words he speak are normally incomprehensible for people who've just met him and sometimes even difficult for me to understand as well. The doctors that his parents have taken him all said the same thing, he'll improve on time. Well, I wouldn't say he is not at all developed from the last time I've seen him,he is. But I wouldn't say that he is a 10 year old.Is this what i feared it to be?I would really appreciate the forum Doc to take time and help me regarding the matter.

Regards

Jaseen  
There could be any one of a number of things going on to influence how your cousin has progressed thus far in his development.  And it is difficult for you not to know exactly the reasons that would explain this for you.  I'm sure his parents are doing all they can for him.  Have you asked them specifically to explain this to you so that you better understand?  Google is a great tool, but like everything on the internet, it shouldn't be the primary source of your information.  All the best.