Speech & Language Disorders Community
My 2 year old is not talking AT ALL. Please help.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

I have two girls, one 3 year old and the other that is almost 2 years old. me and my partner are quite concerned because our second daughter, Beau who is nearly 2, well shes not talking at all. not one word. She makes funny noises and grunts, but no words!! She's spot on with the phsyical side of things like walking, running, playing and also mental side of things, she knows what you are saying to her. For example if shes hurt herself and you say to her where does it hurt she will piont straight to the spot. I feel like i've tried everything, i am in the middle of learning Makaton to see if this helps her to talk. I am also in the middle of being refferred to a speach therapist to see what they can do. She dosent even try to say anything, you ask or say to her "Beau say it" or "what is it" she just looks at you as if to say what are you going on about? bless her. its just frustrating, that we are constantly repeating ourselves to her, and her 3 year sister is always talking to her, but still nothing.
If anyone has been through this or is going through this please help or advise would be awsome. We are willing to try anything to see if it helps her.
hi..im sure you have nothing to worry about..some children are just quicker than others..if she has no other complications in her developement then she will be just fine...she will soon be chatting your ears off...
best wishes
I wish I could say this is nothing to worry about, but it sounds like it is. It is unusual that she says nothing at all. Does she babble? My daughter, who struggles with speech because she has autism, developed speech normally until she was 3. After that she regressed. Was there ever a point that she spoke better? How is her eye contact? Seeking help from a speech therapist is a great first step. Next it would be wise to get a referral to a developmental pediatrician. Good luck!
Hi there,

Welcome to the speech & language disorders forum.

I would suggest that you make an appointment with a speech-language pathologist, if you have not already. A developmental pediatrician may also be helpful.

How have things been since you posted? Take care.

BC