Speech & Language Disorders Community
My 4 year old does not speak.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

My 4 year old does not speak.

My son, who is about 4 and a half has little to no speech at all. He has been in school since Jan of 2010 going 5 days a week for 3hrs. Every day he spends one on one time with a speech pathologist. He can say mommy, but not daddy. If he says anything it is very very hard to understand. His speech pathologist says he is lacking consonant sounds. To me he has the 'm' down, the 'd' sound is more like the 'm' sound for him. He would rather grunt and point. But I sit there for a good while with him asking him to say things, repeatedly and he gets really upset. There is lack of eye contact. And he can follow simple commands such as bring me this. If I point to something for him to bring me, most of the time he doesnt automatically see it and gets really upset. Bedtime and nap time are really hard for him to grasp as well. He doesnt seem to understand that this is what needs to happen. So far there are no signs of him being an outsider. He plays well with others, but others his age dont really play well with him because they see it as "I can talk why cant he" Or they just wont play with him. I have an appointment lined up for him at Texas Childrens Meyer Center for Developmental Delay in a couple of months, his doctor from birth sent over the original referral forms in 2008 to be tested for Autism. However he doesnt seem to think he is Autistic. I have since then changed pediatricians because we moved, and they have seen him and sent over referral forms as well. I dont know what to expect and I dont want to go into this blindly. But I want to get a good idea anyones opinions on what might be the cause of his delay.
My son was diagnosed with Autism, he had a complete work up done by someone and that was their decision. However it turned out that he had the start of the stomach flu that day and it was so bad he ended up in the hospital. So when he was retested he was fine. We went through so much trying to get an answer for his speech delay, MRI's and EEG's and just so much therapy. What I learned from the whole experience is sometimes you have to be pushy. You are their advocate and you also know them better than anyone else. If you want something checked out go in and dont leave until they listen. His delay could be a result of many things. We had to rule out Autism, tons of genetic issues, any brain issues, bloodwork  after bloodwork and finally we got our answer of apraxia. There is a reason why he is not talking at his age. Do not stop until they find it. I wish you lots of luck, I know its a long and frustrating road.
I disagree. In our society we focus so much on finding out "WHY" we forget about treating the issue. We slap a diagnosis and medication on our children in an attempt to find a quick fix. I know this is misguided love and concern, but it's just not worth the time we take to worry about it. All many children need is a good speech therapist and OT. It's a wonderful place to start. I've seen dramatic improvement in my daughter after just one session with a speech therapist. Sometimes we just don't know why our children have speech and behavioral delays and may never truly figure it out. Like anyone else I want an explanation, but sometimes there isn't one.

We've had quite the opposite reaction from our daughter's peers. They love her and love playing with her even though she has speech issues. Today she spent 4 hours out on a playdate without either of her parents along. They had so much fun. When I bring her to school they shout hello and get very excited. I'm all for early intervention, but I don't think children always need to undergo a series of tests and drills to see why they are behind.