Speech & Language Disorders Community
Need speech therapy but insurance won't cover
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Need speech therapy but insurance won't cover

Hi all, My son is now 6 yrs old and still can't say some sounds like S and R. We discovered this problem when he was 3 but I didnt worry much at that time as I thought it will come with time. Last year in August we got speech evaluation done for him which suggested that he needs therapy. For insurance purposes they won't cover it as they consider this as a developmental delay. It costs $168 per visit - 45 minutes. Totally unaffordable.
He goes to a public school. I also tried to get him therapy at school, but at first they said they wont do it as his problem is not as big but just recently they started him on ESL courses. I don't think he needs ESL classes, he was born here and understands english very well. He is unable to say those sounds in my mother tongue as well.
My younger one is only 2.5 yrs, speaks only my mother tongue and is perfect with his sounds.
I'm really worried for my older one, I don't want him to be not able to raise his hand and answer questions in class out of embarrasment. A kid made fun of him this other day and my son just sort of ignored it.
I live in NJ, does anyone know about any place where I can take him for therapy, I don't care if its far.
If anyone also has a similar stroy, please share and advise.