Speech & Language Disorders Community
Potty Training a Child with Speech Delays

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

My daughter will be 3 years old in two weeks.  She is currently at a speech level of 18 months.  She also has fine and gross motor skill delays.  She was diagnosed when she was 9 months old with low muscle tone.  She has recently been displaying signs that she is ready to be potty trained.  She does not like having a wet diaper on and she will cry and/or tug at it to have me change it.  Also the last couple of days she has been holding her pee in until at the end of the day she pees so much she floods her diaper.  How can I communicate with her about going pee-pee and poo-poo in the potty?
Is she on level with her receptive language? There is a great Baby Signs potty training video that works wonders with speech delayed kiddos. I'm an SLP in the school system and my very good friend is a Deaf/HH Itinerant Teacher and teaches Baby Signs classes. We use the kit with our Pre-K ESE kids at our school and it works pretty well.

The brand is "Baby Signs"....don't be fooled by other signing videos! It comes with a book, rewards, DVD, and more. You can google it for more information...

Good luck!

Also--My son was 2 1/2 last month and is also speech delayed by about 10-12 months. We just started putting him in pull ups and standing him on a stool in front of the toilet every 60-90 minutes. He knows to pee when we do this, but will not let us know he has to go as of yet. Maybe start sitting your daughter on the potty every hour and at least she'll learn to go and won't be holding it all day. The first step to potty training is them knowing what to do when they sit on the potty...
Start by using the same word for your 'toilet' and her 'toilet', using different words eg. potty might confuse her.  Buy one that you think she might like the look of.  Let her watch you going to the toilet and talk her through the process of what you are doing.  The signing is a good idea too.
As it is going to be getting warmer soon, you could try stopping nappies completely when she's at home and just have her in pants.  
You say she holds in her wee all day.  You will need to put her on the little toilet at regular intervals throughout the day.  You can also up the liquid intake at regular intervals so that you have a better idea of when she will need to go.  Eg. if she has a drink at 10.00am and hasn't used the toilet by 11.00am, give her another drink and then put her on the potty every 15 mins until she goes.  You can also turn on the tap a bit because listening to running water can sometimes help them urinate.
Then just see how she goes. Some kids take to it easy.  My son who is on the autistic spectrum was fine with toilet training and we completely dry day and night be the age of 3.  It just turned out is wasnt something he has difficulty with.  Other mothers can have huge problems with 'typical' children for years.
Also discuss with the professionals involved with your child how to go about it and what might be the difficulties she has that will be different to other children.  For example the low muscle tone - does that mean she may not feel the urge to go to the toilet like we do.  Also does she have any sensory issues, as feeling internal sensations such as the urge to use the toilet, feeling hungry/thirsty, regulating body temperature etc are all internal sensations and if her sensory system is over or under sensitive you will get a different response to the toilet training.
I would also recommend getting a waterproof matteress cover.  Because toilet training always involves alot of laundry for the mistakes.  But if the mattress is dry it isn't such a big deal.