Speech & Language Disorders Community
STRESSED out about my 3.5 year old son not talking much

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Hello ladies, I'm just about at my whits end about my son who is as sharp as a tack! and Oh sooo lovable and demonstrative in so many ways.  He has been attending and early intervention pre-school class for a few months now and he seems to be happy there.  The occupational therapist there said he only had a speech delay and he would out grow it at his own pace.  OK then, I'll just have to wait.  On October 6th I decided to take him to a hearing specialist who could rule out a hearing problem.  No one in this pre-school said that they thought he might have a hearing issue but If I wanted to just have him tested, that would be a good idea.  You see, the thing is he has never had a cold, never has ever had a ear ache or ear infection.  If there is some kind of problem with his hearing it must have happened before he was born.  Something maybe didn't develop correctly.  Who knows!  I can't wait to take him to be checked!  Has any one had a child that had this same speech problem and then find out that it was his hearing all along?  He seems to have trouble with 2 syllable words and some words that start with the "m" sound. He actually can say very clearly Binky,  Wiggles, Walka (that means walk) keekoo (this means cookie)  no words that start with M sound not even Mommy or Mama.  He understands everything but I just don't know anymore.  I'm just so frustrated. Sometimes, I hope that it might be as easy as just a hearing issue.  That would explain a lot of things.  For the most part he doesn't exhibit any signs of hearing loss, you would think that he hears everything clearly.  So if it is hearing he is having problems with, wow he sure fooled us all!  Let me know if his case sounds familiar to anyone......
Children say things very differently than us adults do, that's very normal. For instance my name is Rachel and my little sister called me "Sasho" when she was young. It doesn't sound like he has a hearing problem. I would listen to what the occupational therapist said about him growing out of his speech delay. I know that's not easy to accept and to be patient, but it'll be best for him if you don't put too much pressure on him. He'll know if you're stressed out about him; children are more observant than we think.
Hi,  I too think I'd get the hearing test done but wait it out in his early intervention preschool.  You've already been proactive addressing his delayed speech and they are telling you he will grow out of it.  

Hearing loss, believe it or not would be a bigger issue to deal with.  It's a whole other avenue that you would have to pursue-----  so a delay that self corrects would be preferable.

My son has sensory integration disorder which is a delay that affects the nervous system.  The first thing that a teacher in preschool noticed about his was delayed speech particularly with the area of articulation and leaving out occasional sounds in words.  He had just turned 3 at the time (other problems were fine motor related and modulation/regulation issues)----  so I had a full speech evaluation done by a Phd speech pathologist.  My son while being delayed is a super smarty pants (if I do say so myself)----  so they told me that his speech articulation would self correct and if it didn't to come back.  They recommended that when he mispronounces a word to not make a big deal out of it but to make sure to have him look at my mouth when I said the word the correct way.   To try to teach him proper articulation that way.  Well anyway, he is now 5 and other than switching his th to the s sound on words like thank you (sank you!)  ----  he has no speech issues and this never comes up.  He does do occupational therapy for his sensory issues which has been awesome for him---- so I'm glad your child gets to enjoy ot.  (most kids think this so fun as it is therapy through play!)  

I am very new to this but I saw your post and thought I should join.  My son also has a speech delay and to say I am going out of my mind is an under statement.  It's all I think about - its so hard because you want the best for your kids.  My son is very bright but only has about 20 words.  

Alda you posted your orginial message some time back - how are things now- I would love to hear some good news - give me hope!

thanks
Dear Alba maam, you posted your message regarding speech delay 3 yrs back. Our 3.5 yr old kid has similar problems with speech (speaks around 40 words currently). We are eager to hear about your kid's progress and pl. do reply. Thank u in advance
Anuja