Speech & Language Disorders Community
Speech Disorder 3.5 Year Old Boy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Speech Disorder 3.5 Year Old Boy

I have a 3.5 year old who can tell you any letter of the alphabet, any number up to 15 and can clearly pronounce almost any word you ask of him.  If you ask him to do something - put toys away - clean up messes and go to bed - he will do things like this.  However, he will not answer questions; he will not ask for anything, he refuses to communicate to us unless he is thirsty - in where he stands at the fridge and says milk.  He also will not eat anything that is not brown or beige or off-white.  He also refuses to eat icecream or cake.  Sometimes he drinks milk and juice and eats nothing else.  He does not throw tantrums and is a happy child.  What is wrong with him in regards to communication?
Have you raised your concerns with the health visitor?
I have a son diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder.  I am not saying that that is what it is because I am not a professional.  But from what I know about autism a child can rote learn large amounts of information.  My son could sort numbers into their order and do puzzles beyond his years.  Some children can read, write or speak beyond their years and this is called hyperlexia.  However sometimes there is not the understanding behind what they know.  
He may have difficulties with expressive language.  But the professional that should see and assess him is a speech and language therapist.  You want one that is experienced in speech disorders and also ASDs.  Then they can assess all parts of his language and social communication skills.  He may not have good comprehension, or may not have social communication skills.  
I would also raise his limited food intake.  This maybe down to sensory issues.  Is he very sensitive to sound eg. covering his ears or appearing deaf.  What is his sense of smell, taste, touch like.  Can you brush, cut, wash hair or cut nails?  Is he okay with clothes or do tags have to be removed and seamless socks bought?
It is common for those on the spectrum to only use language to get their needs met.  There is no social chit chat.  That is what my son was like.  He loved to watch TV and do puzzles and would be happy on his own and not demand interaction with me.  Then he would ask me for something if he was hungry or thirsty, or would attempt to get something himself from the fridge.
But your first step is the speech therapist and see what they recommend.