Speech & Language Disorders Community
Speech delay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Speech delay

I have a 2 yr who is delayed in speech, he can only say about 20 words. Currently he is getting help from speech therapist that comes out 2 times a wk but he will be turning 3 on April 4, so the program only helps till then. He is elgiable to attend regular school for speech therapy 3 hrs a day, I was wondering is it the right thing to do to help him or is it to young to send him off by himself? Help please!!
Oh, I remember this transition too.  One of my kids was in early intervention soon after birth and in my state, that ends at age three and then children are transitioned into a public school program for preschool/therapy.  Like you, I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do.  As it turned out, it was just so very helpful.  My little one had medical needs that kept her out of typical peer to peer play opportunities and at school, she had them.  I was also worried that she might pick up negative behaviors from other kids (I'm sure other moms worried about negative habits from my child too).  Again, it couldn't have been a better experience.  My child's class just had eight children, one teacher, on teacher's assistant, on interpreter (because one child was hearing impaired) and also a nurse because one child needed medical monitoring.  Four teachers: eight kids.  It was a great experience.  I hope if you agree to the school program, that it is wildly successful for your child and that you feel confident in the program.  Can you go and tour the facility?  Observe some of the daily activities?  Meet with the therapists who would work with your child?  Perhaps doing so will help lay your fears to rest.  
I am currently seeking an SLP "speech and language pathologist" for my 2 year old son who has a speech disorder (Speech Apraxia). I'm a stay at home mom, I waited until late in life to have my children and I enjoy having them home safe with me all the time. But when I think of my son not being able to keep up with his peers verbally or being teased because he still sounds like a baby as a teenager, it reminds me of how important it is for him to get the therapy and as often as it is necessary.

He will be fine without Mommy all the time. but he may not be fine with Mommy all the time.