Speech & Language Disorders Community
Speech delayed 3 1/2 year old
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Speech delayed 3 1/2 year old

My son is 3 1/2 years old. He was born by emergency c-section at 34 weeks, and the pediatrician told me then that he may have developmental delays. He was right.  My son spoke his first words at eight months (DA DA), but little to nothing after that until he was about sixteen months. We thought he may have had a hearing deficit as he did not respond when his name was called (at 18 months). Lots of wax removed, hearing was assessed and deemed normal. No improvement. He had poor eye contact, was and is very picky with his foods, and some other eccentric things like only drinking out of specific cups and rejecting a cup if he doesn't like it, even if it has a drink he likes in it.  Since he was 2 1/2, he has had at least four assessments, the last being two weeks ago. One partially trained "speech therapist"  declared him autistic. His pediatrician says he was speech delayed, the psychologist said he is on the autism spectrum (seems to me every body is being dumped into that category) and his most recent speech language [pathologist said he has a communication delay.  At 3 1/2, very rare two word groupings; can identify most things by word; plays well with his sister and sometimes with the other children at pre-school, but seems to prefer to play to himself; knows his alphabet but will not say 's' words, including six and seven; most other numbers to 25 ok; knows colours and shapes and animal sounds, but sometimes won't name the animal...just make the sound it makes. He is very affectionate, quick to hug especially if he sees any one crying; picky eater. I am at a loss. speech therapy had been three times weekly at thirty minute sessions but it seemed most of that time was spent settling him in and singing the same songs I did with him at home, so I stopped this after nine months.  I am at a loss.  PLEASE HELP.  What is wrong with my son?  WHat else can i do to help him?
Tags: 3 1/2, sppech delay