Stammer Control and Biological Explanation
Hi, I'm posting regarding a language disorder that has affected and inhibited me from a young age. I have a moderate stammer that I theorise, after personal experiment, is directly affected by amount of sleep, specifically a lack of sleep.

I have noticed that, if I receive less than 8 hours sleep per night, my quality of speech the next day is very poor. I have also noticed that it is not consistent for, if I receive good sleep for approximately 3/4 nights, my speech is fluent and the effect lasts for a few days afterwards too!

The language problem began when I was performing in a primary school play, the leading role, when, during auditions, I suddenly could not speak. This childhood experience has blighted my life ever since, and, considering that I enjoy public speaking and am a confident orator, has severe consequences on my day-to-day life.

I am looking for a biological explanation of the link between sleep and my stammer and, although difficult, help and ideas for dealing with my affliction. After many years of speech therapy with little consistent success, I realise and understand that there isn't such a thing as a treatment or miracle cure. However, I would like advice on how to control my affliction.

Hello, Wow I am sorry to hear about the complications you have been having with your speech and stammer. My daughter is 3 and was resently confirmed Speech and Language Impaired. She will be starting in a special needs preschool for speech and articulation therapy infused preschool classes. I noticed that some days she seems to chatter much more talkative than other days where she wont talk at all. and some days where i can understand alot of what she is saying much more than others much more than other days when her speech is hardly understandible. Im sorry to say I dont know anything about what a stammer is, but I see some similarities so i hope there is some postings on this subject for you, and I hope it works out well. God Bless and Good Luck!
It's not sleep, it's actually anxiety and nervousness.

Maybe when you get a sufficient amount of sleep, you just feel relaxed, decreasing your stammer.

To reduce your stammer, you have to adopt anxiety reducing techniques in your speech. Goodluck!
Ahhhh okay, that would make a lot of sense! Thank you very much for that, I will look into it and see how I get on :)
My stammer is the lowest in the morning and generally increases at the end of the day, especially a very tiring one :)

This is the reason why I prefer lecturing or discussing while sitting down and leaning against my back on the chair.

There are anxiety decreasing exercises that you can do during speaking and outside speaking (such as breathing exercises). I posted a few tips in other threads, hope it can help.
Update: Believe it or not, after many, many years of discomfort, I may just be on the road to recovery thanks to the book 'Beyond Stammering' by David McGuire. I implemented the breathing techniques rigorously for the first couple of weeks and noticed significant improvements and then, after this became lax with the '20 minutes breathing every morning' exercise until now, I don't do the exercise at all, with an even better level of fluency. I have had no major problems with my speech for at least 6 weeks now, and I'm growing in confidence every single day! Here's hoping :)
I stammer also, I was infected through my friend when I was 8yrs and now am 25. Please can anyone tell me what to do to reduce the level of my stammering.