Speech & Language Disorders Community
Stammering

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Stammering

sir, since from childhood I am a stammerer,
now I am 50 years old,sometime I have difficulty to speak
fluently to my higher officers, some fears in my mind
that I have to talk fluently to all, but stammering struggling my
life, pl. advice, how to  cure this problems
karunanidhi,south india
I have heard of many people have success using magnesium.  I think because the tongue and speech involves the muscles and nerves, which magnesium is involved with.

Some of the safer and more effective forms of magnesium include: Taurate, Glycinate and Citrate (latter can be laxitative, so take with food).
thanks for your comment. karunanidhi, is there is specific tablet available using magnesium, or what type of food I have to take. please clarify.
karunanidhi, south india,
Are there speech therapists in your area? being a life long stammerer will make it difficult to break this. I am a graduate student student and i am in a stuttering class right now. I don't know about the effectiveness of magnesium but i do know that the most evidence based research suggests therapy to help you control your stuttering. I don't know if there is a cure for stuttering in your situation because you have been stuttering for so long but in my class we had a guest speaker come in who is a life long stutterer and he presented with only a few stuttering instances. He spoke very fluently because he used techniques taught to him from a speech therapist to control his stuttering. Look for a speech therapist or speech-language pathologist in your area to see if you can receive therapy.
you can also visit the American Speech Language and Hearing website and read about stuttering: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/stuttering.htm
this resource has information about stuttering and some links to other solid stuttering websites. I hope this helps :)
Stammering isn't a speech order, its a REFLECTION of the person's proneness to ANXIETY.

ANXIETY is the root problem. To lessen stammering means you have to adopt ANXIETY LESSENING TECHNIQUES when speaking/giving a speech.

1. Speak slower

2. Pause in between sentences

3. Breathe and inhale when speaking

4. Dont be afraid in using fillers.

5. BE CONFIDENT and GET USED TO PUBLIC SPEAKING

I know how rough it is to stutter, but it does not hinder you in achieving your dreams!

You have to accept the fact that your stammer will always be there, but it can be drastically reduced that you stutter only slightly more often than the average person.

Hello Kannon
   Your posture to my question is encouraging to me. If I be confident
I can speak fluently, I understood this in my life.
Thanks for  your question.
Hey there,

I'm 18 years and I've had trouble with speaking fluently for more than 4 years now. Psychologists told me I have Social Anxiety Disorder and that probably that is cause. I know it's very frustrating and demotivating to know that when you're going to say something, it most likely will be "messed up" due to the inability to complete whole sentences fluently.

I noticed that when I memorise what I want to say (because that's what I did for speaking tasks at school), that reciting 8 minutes-long texts is no problem, though. I find this quite odd.

You might think "well, you have Social Anxiety Disorder, so of course you don't want to speak!". That's partially true, because I actually am afraid to talk, well not afraid to talk, but afraid of the possible reactions I might receive. However, I feel more comfortable at home (luckily) and even there I sometimes fail to make proper sentences. I know exactly what I want to say, but I just can't...

Is this more or less similar to what you are experiencing?