Speech & Language Disorders Community
Stuttering

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Stuttering

Is there any way to stop stuttering in a 3 year old twins before they get older and it gets worse? I was told since they were pre mature twins they went through speech evaluation, speech classes. But once they turned 3 they got cut off of thoes benifits. Now they are both stuttering more noticeable because they are building vocabulary. But I think this may damage them because as they notice they are not going to want to speak if they are having difficulties??? Are they any options? Or does it stay with you for the rest of your life?
I would definitely seek the advice of a speech-language pathologist. I am going to graduate school right now to become as speech-language pathologist so I don't want to say more than I know however I am in a stuttering class right now and I know that the best course with stuttering is to catch it early and receive therapy. A few questions you could have answers to ready when you go for an evaluation are:
When did you notice a stuttering problem?
Was there any traumatic incident that seemed to make the stuttering worse?
Are there any signs that they know they stutter? i.e. do they show frustration when they stutter, show embarrassment, avoid words etc
What kind of stuttering symptoms do they show? i.e. do they repeat part of words, whole words, or phrases. Do they seem to get stuck on a word either not able to start vocalizing so a long pause that seems like they are holding their breath, or not able to finish the word because they are stuck saying a sound for example the m in man.

If they seem to become aware of the stutter and display frustration those are definitely signs that they should be evaluated. Like I said I'm not a professional yet but I wanted to share with you some of what I know. Stuttering is not as uncommon as people want to think so your not alone. Sometimes stuttering disappears on it's own and there is a certain amount of dysfluencies that are normal in everyone's speech. Sometimes children will stutter if they feel like they need to rush through a conversation to be heard, they are fighting for attention, or some traumatic event happened that seemed to make it worse. A traumatic event can be anywhere from falling down to moving or a new baby or anything.
I hope that helps a little. Getting evaluated from a speech therapist would be a good idea. They can get a full history and language sample and really a good picture of what your children's speech is like. I'm not a mom but my mom was a parent of a child with special needs and I know she was super proactive about my brothers needs. I know it's scary and you want to do everything you can to help them succeed. Don't worry, there are many evidence based treatments available and sometimes stuttering goes away on it's own.
do not do anything. Do not even acknowledge it . It will go away. If you make a big deal of it they will too then it will become a life time problem. Stuttering is a natural growing event it will go away
Stuttering is caused by anxiety.

If they still stutter by the time they reach third grade, you can say that they are indeed stutterers and it's not a mere "growing period".

I beg to disagree with the opinion that "you should not do anything". Had there been a person who explained to me the mechanics of stuttering and speaking techniques when I was young, I would have not gone through the hell I experienced.

I had to learn the ropes of stuttering myself, test proper anxiety relieving techniques through trial and error for years (what works and what doesnt) and incorporate them into my speech.

If they still stutter please consult with a Speech Therapist. I dont want the kids to experience the same childhood I had.
Stuttering generally decreases as one gets older, but it does not completely disappear. Even some of the most esteemed speakers in Congress stutter once in a while.

It would simply be for the best if there will be a "guide" to direct them how to lessen their stutter as early as possible.