Speech & Language Disorders Community
Temporary speech problem
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Temporary speech problem

What could possibly be wrong with my 10YO diabetic son? He awoke yesterday with a 71 BG level and was disoriented. He couldn't check his own blood sugar and was frustrated. Within the hour, his BG was within normal levels, but we noticed that he was having speech difficulty. He was responding appropriately to instructions, but he could not answer simple questions such as his name and age. He would either answer with "I don't know" or with jumbled speech. His answers were random words or out of order. He couldn't tell me the name of his sister, but when he saw her picture, he said her name.

A trip to the ER revealed normal blood work, urine analysis, CT scan, and lumbar puncture. He took a long nap while we waited for the results, and when he woke, his speech was about 95% normal. He still had trouble telling a story without pausing to think for the right words, and some words still eluded him. For example, he said "gorillif" for "gorilla" and "giriffe" for "giraffe". The doc sent us home to follow up with our pediatrician today. They had no answers for us.

By the end of the day, my son was only experiencing slight pauses while searching for the word he needed. His blood sugars remained normal all day. What questions should I ask my son's doctor?
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Speech & Language Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank