Aa
A
A
Close
Unable to say what I mean to say
My problem is that although I know EXACTLY what I want to say, when it comes to actually speaking, I can't seem to be able to vocalize my words in the right order, or in the proper way. I also can't help but hesitate between words, or hesitate before I start speaking originally.

I can write these thoughts down, and express and communicate perfectly through text with absolutely no issues. Speaking wise, I can only really manage small talk and small introductions, anything more 'involved' is where I experience difficulty. I am 18 years old, and have had these problems for as long as I can remember, though they were often written off as shyness or anxiety.

Here's an example:
What I mean to say: "I've had these sorts of problems since I was a kid"
What I actually say: " when I was a kid.... it was this way, and such"

No matter what I say, I never feel like I've actually said what I was supposed to. Does this sound like any particular disorder? or should I consider it apart of anxiety?
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Where are you from? you have parents who speak another native language?
Tell me your family background, that will help me two make a correctly reply for your question. sorry about my english, it's not my original language.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I have been having this problem for around a year now, I'm really having trouble communicating with people because I never can seem to find the words that can describe what I am really trying to say. Everything sounds great in my head and I know what I want to say but when I try to say it aloud it sounds like complete ********( sorry for the language but it's really starting to **** me off). I have always been on the shyer side but could still be myself around people and usually speak my mind when I wanted to, but then I noticed when I began my senior year in high school I began to get EXTREMELY self-conscious about everything I did and said. I noticed all of my little mistakes and awkward quirks in social situations and they began to get worse and worse, and I think that because I was so aware of myself that I didn't want to take a chance and say something weird or an off the wall remark and I would try to say as little as possible. I always have good ideas and intentions when talking to people but I can never fully express them, I feel stifled and that I am sabotaging myself or something. I have anxiety and overthink things and I believe that is why I have trouble speaking my mind, look up some articles on social phobia(social anxiety) it could possibly be something you struggle with. I know I do):
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
4971738 tn?1390568984
I am going through the same thing after I have a conversation with somebody it replays in my mind and I am going through every word feeling so stupid and wishing I could have said something different.Sometimes when someone ask a question is like I cant even process.I feel hopeless and this situation is drivin me insane.I cant do this anymore!!I alslo do express myself better through text amd I just cant believe your going through the same thing.I hope you get some answers and help! God knows Im trying! good luck!!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I want to start by saying that writing was always one of my greatest talents.  I am able to express myself clearly, even elegantly, given enough time.  But often when speaking I sound like an utter buffoon, unable to vocalize my thoughts without enough preparation.  So I find myself compromising by coming up with the first words I can think of to complete a sentence, which leads to a bunch of nonsensical garbage.
Perhaps it's hereditary?  On many occasions my mom takes an awkwardly long time to respond in conversation because she needs to formulate a complete sentence before she speaks it.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Speech & Language Disorders Community Resources