Speech & Language Disorders Community
Unable to say what I mean to say

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Unable to say what I mean to say

My problem is that although I know EXACTLY what I want to say, when it comes to actually speaking, I can't seem to be able to vocalize my words in the right order, or in the proper way. I also can't help but hesitate between words, or hesitate before I start speaking originally.

I can write these thoughts down, and express and communicate perfectly through text with absolutely no issues. Speaking wise, I can only really manage small talk and small introductions, anything more 'involved' is where I experience difficulty. I am 18 years old, and have had these problems for as long as I can remember, though they were often written off as shyness or anxiety.

Here's an example:
What I mean to say: "I've had these sorts of problems since I was a kid"
What I actually say: " when I was a kid.... it was this way, and such"

No matter what I say, I never feel like I've actually said what I was supposed to. Does this sound like any particular disorder? or should I consider it apart of anxiety?
Where are you from? you have parents who speak another native language?
Tell me your family background, that will help me two make a correctly reply for your question. sorry about my english, it's not my original language.
I have been having this problem for around a year now, I'm really having trouble communicating with people because I never can seem to find the words that can describe what I am really trying to say. Everything sounds great in my head and I know what I want to say but when I try to say it aloud it sounds like complete ********( sorry for the language but it's really starting to **** me off). I have always been on the shyer side but could still be myself around people and usually speak my mind when I wanted to, but then I noticed when I began my senior year in high school I began to get EXTREMELY self-conscious about everything I did and said. I noticed all of my little mistakes and awkward quirks in social situations and they began to get worse and worse, and I think that because I was so aware of myself that I didn't want to take a chance and say something weird or an off the wall remark and I would try to say as little as possible. I always have good ideas and intentions when talking to people but I can never fully express them, I feel stifled and that I am sabotaging myself or something. I have anxiety and overthink things and I believe that is why I have trouble speaking my mind, look up some articles on social phobia(social anxiety) it could possibly be something you struggle with. I know I do):
I am going through the same thing after I have a conversation with somebody it replays in my mind and I am going through every word feeling so stupid and wishing I could have said something different.Sometimes when someone ask a question is like I cant even process.I feel hopeless and this situation is drivin me insane.I cant do this anymore!!I alslo do express myself better through text amd I just cant believe your going through the same thing.I hope you get some answers and help! God knows Im trying! good luck!!