Speech & Language Disorders Community
Why do I have trouble speaking?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Why do I have trouble speaking?

This is a problem I only noticed in the last year or two. When I talk, my words get slurred together, or it's hard to get the words out. I have to repeat myself multiple times and it's starting to get tough to communicate with people. It is affecting my daily life and my grades. Sometimes I notice when my words are sounding strange, but other times my friends have to say 'what' a couple times before they can understand me. I noticed it starting about the time I got my braces, but it keeps getting worse and worse as time passes, and I haven't been able to notice what the braces are specifically doing to cause some speaking issue.
I did some research and came upon dysarthria and apraxia. However, none of the causes for both things seemed to relate to anything I have done. I have had NO trouble speaking until this last year or two. What could be wrong, and how can I gain the ability to be able to speak and communicate well again?
Please help me! This is really affecting my life, and I just want to be able to speak easily again.
Thanks!
Hello Muffin ...
   The truth is that THIS isn't the place you should be coming too in order to get a diagnosis. We are not qualified to understand your problem. Concerning everything you said, this is obviously more than your braces just getting in the way of pronouncing words properly. I would see your doctor as soon as possible, and he or she will probably refer you to a neurologist, or some other 'ologist.'  I wouldn't be worried - just let the specialists do their job and figure out what this is that's bothering you, and then everything can get back to normal with you! Take Care ....