Speech & Language Disorders Community
Why is my daughter suddenly stuttering when she never did before?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

My daughter is 3 1/2  and is very intelligent for her age. She has been a great talker until now. All of a sudden in the past two weeks she has started stuttering really bad. It's like she can't get the words out. Especially the first word is hard to get out and then other words in the middle of a sentence she is having trouble with. I have tried to tell her to slow down thinking maybe she is trying to talk too fast. But it does not matter how fast or slow she is speaking it all gets stuttered out. I have never heard of a child who would talk so normal for such a long time and then like overnight she is stuttering. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Have there been any recent changes in her life?  My nephew started stuttering when his family moved to a new home.  He stopped several months later, and just as suddenly.  If you are concerned, you can ask your pediatrician about having her evaluated by a speech therapist.
There have not been any recent events that were traumatic for her. The only thing I can think of is that her dad and I have joint custody and she stays with me half the time and with him half the time. At least that would work out that way if he did not do so many days of work on his off days. Then I get her more by about 75%. I do have a problem when she does not want to go back to dad's house. He is very controlling and can't understand how a little girl may need extra tlc at times. He is very hard on her and demands respect, which is great, but when a 3yo does not comprehend what we do as adults her dad gets upset. I tell him she may need more emotional support because she is just a child still trying to figure how life is supposed to be. I guess what I am trying to say is I have a softer approach with a lot of hugs and kisses, and he would rather get the belt out after her for small incidences. Some things require a mother's touch, and he does not understand that. She always cries when I tell her she has to go to daddy's house and says no I want to stay with you for always. It just breaks my heart.

She just started stuttering two weeks ago as if that was the way she always spoke. I did not know what could be causing this. Does anxiety cause these things to happen?
I think that it was definitely anxiety with my nephew, and I don't think it has to be "traumatic," just a change from the routine she is used to.  Kids are very sensitive about their routines, but they are also resilient and if that is the cause it should go away once she readjusts.

Like I said, you should mention it to her pediatrician, because if it is not something that will go away on its own, she will need speech therapy and that is most effective the earlier it begins.
Thanks for your suggestions. That does make me feel better. I hope it is not something she will need to see a speech therapist for. I will call her pediatrician and mention it to them and see what they think.
Thank you.
Hi there,

My son is almost 8 and he has been stuttering since he was 2. Just a few words of advice to help you and your daughter to work through the stuttering. Most children do go through a non-fluent developmental stage and will "grow out of it". However, some do not and it will be a lifelong issue to deal with. Do not tell your child to slow down. Stuttering is not an issue with hurrying up or slowing down. Acknowledge in a kind and caring way that you have noticed her speech is bumpy. Tell her you love her and accept her no matter how she talks. Get a referral to a speech-language pathologist as soon as possible. A trained professional ought to be able to differentiate between developmental stuttering and stuttering that needs therapy. Early intervention is of the utmost importance with stuttering.

Good luck to you and your daughter! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Sarah:)
Please do not acknowledge the stuttering . Just let it happen and it will go away.  If you make a big deal about it then she will too. I have stuttered all my life and it was very stressfull and still is . what i have learned is that stutteters think about how they talk . DO NOT correct her ar tell her to Slow down . Just let her talk and don't even worry about it and tell your ex that he needs to chill and he also needs to do the same . Do not let your daughter know she is stuttering.
Stuttering is caused by anxiety.

A new environment, a recent trauma or an insecurity might be causing her to be more anxious than normal.

I have stuttered since I was very young, and only in the recent years have I pinpointed that anxiety is the CULPRIT.

Observe her for the meantime, and if her stuttering continues, consult a Speech Therapist.