Speech & Language Disorders Community
does any one elses child suffer from dyspraxia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

my son has speech therapy and ive been told he is suffering from a condition called dyspraxia i no its affects your speech ansd can affect you pysical development
My son is 27 months old and is Apraxic. They call it "Childhood Apraxia of Speech" or "Verbal Apraxia" in The States, but Dyspraxia in England and around Europe. How old is he? Has he improved at all with speech therapy?

What do you mean that it could affect his physical development? Does your son have any sensory impairments along with the apraxia? They often go together in many cases.

My son has been receiving therapy since June and has made some good progress. I'm a speech-language clinician myself, so I work with him as much as he'll let me. He does a lot more for his SLP then he'll do for me at home...go figure. How is your son receptively? Does he understand everything/most of what you say or ask (within reasonable limits, considering his age)?

Does he have feeding problems or food allergies? My son wouldn't eat from day one in the hospital and had problems keeping breastmilk and milk-based formula down...which can be a very early sign in these kids.

You can private message me or write back on this thread...I'll share as much information as I can with you!
thanks hes 4 years and been having speech therapy about a year now we think it was due to his seizures he used to have that affected his speech, since having therapy ther has been big inprovement and we dont think he suffers with the pysical devlopment as he is so cleaver and active its just his speech

but its so wierd as me and his father can understand everything he says and other ppl cant understand him at all most of the time
My understanding of dyspraxia is that is affects motor co-ordination.  It is tied in with sensory processing, so it might be worth assessing if any other sensory systems are over or under sensitive as that can account for alot of strange or unusual behaviours.  The sense of proprioception tells the brain where the body parts are and this guides the brain to send the right signals to the muscles.  If that incoming sensory information is incorrect, then the incorrect messages will be passed to the muscles.  I think dyspraxia can also range from mild to severe.  Yes it can also affect speech and co-ordination of words and thoughts.
I can also understand my son perfectly, but I recently had him assessed privately by a Speech and Language Therapist and she has uncovered a number of speech problems that I had noticed, but I hadn't understood the degree of difficulty he was having or the impact on his learning that these speech problems were causing.  For example he pronounces alot of letters incorrectly.  So instead of saying 'the' he says 'v', and 'ahave' for 'behave' and 'puter' for 'computer' etc.  So he is having a great deal of difficulties learning phonics.  He can memorise his reading book immediately, but he cannot read yet.
I have a daughter who is now 38 months and was has apraxia, since a 2 1/2.  The best thing I ever did was find a specialist that handles these specific speach problems and get a consult.  My daughter has been in 3 hour sessions from the private therapist and two 1/2 hour sessions from the public school.  They need alot of sessions per week.  It seems to have mad a world of difference from 10 words to being able to say more then 200 words and some sentences.  Also my pirvate therapist uses the Kaufman Praxis cards they are the best incordination with the PROMPT system.   I wish you good luck and it will get better.  Another website that is great is Apraxia-kids.org