Speech & Language Disorders Community
please suggest concerning stuttering

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

please suggest concerning stuttering

I am 26 years, male. I am P.G student of computer science.
I have stuttering problem from childhood.
Due to stuttering problem I feel diffculty in communication among two or more persons, in presentation, in interviews.
I feel anxiety when i think I will give speech in class or like any other stage performance.
I have lack of confidence.
Can I overcome from my stuttering problem.
please suggest me your advice is very important for me.
Thankyou.
Stuttering is something that cannot be cured, but it can be managed.  A qualified speech therapist can help you develop ways to reduce the severity of your stuttering moments and develop greater confidence in all speaking situations.  I recommend that you find a speech therapist who has experience treating adults who stutter, and arrange for a consultation.  If you have stuttered all your life, you will probably always stutter at least a little, but it does not have to limit your ability to communicate effectively in your professional or personal life.
Your stutter may be an adverse reaction to somthing you are eating.  The most common is gluten.
I am 47 and I have been a stutterer since grade school.  I have always had a very hard time speaking or reading out loud in an adult group.  I became a school teacher so that I would have to talk . I still stutter in front of my students but they are very accepting.  I started taking concerta 8 months ago and it has made a great change in the fear I USED to have speaking in front of people . I still stutter but not near as often when speaking in front of adults . I would say concerta is a great medication to help those with the anxiety of stuttering as an adult
Stuttering is caused by extreme anxiety. It is not really a speech problem, but a reflection of the person becoming easily anxious.

Any normal person stutters when he's nervous. You just become easily nervous, that's why you stutter often.

Yes I stutter as well but I have somehow decreased it over the years, here are my tips

1. Speak slowly. Stutterers speak faster than the average person and they do not realize this.

2. Pause once in a while. Pausing relieves anxiety. Dont be afraid of chopping your sentences.

3. Breathe and inhale throughout your speech. This relieves anxiety.

4. Finally do not be scared in using fillers like "Uhmm" in your speech. The brief moment you say Uhmmm lessens your anxiety and gives you time to reorganize your thoughts.

Follow my four tips and you will become confident in no time.

Take this from a terrible stutterer who is now a law student in one of the top universities in the country.
Slower-Pause-Breathe-Fillers

Based from my experience it's the only four things you need to deliver a great speech. It's simply a matter of instilling the four factors into your head and incorporate them into your speeches.
you remind me a lot of myself because I was once a computer major as well. Every presentation was a horror for me, even reading slides from a power point in front of class.

Right now I'm in law school (i would have never imagined myself in one years back) and I am doing perfectly fine.

Goodluck to you bro. I can assure you that stuttering can be managed and it's not an impediment to your goals.