Speech & Language Disorders Community
speech delay in 4 yr old kids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

speech delay in 4 yr old kids

my son is a normal 4 yr old boy. he goes to a normal school and can write and count properly. he can comprehend with school lessons and is very active in playing games and participating in school activities. the only problem that we have is he was diagnosed with purely speech delay by his developmental pediatrician, which she said was very rare on kids his age. he attended occupational therapy at 2 since we thought he was experiencing PDD but later on confirmed that he is normal. all his skills are at normal level except for speech. can you help us or give us helpful activities that may improve and help improve his speech and his communications skills. all of your suggestions will be highly appreciated. thanks in advance and god bless all of us. :)
It really needs to be a Speech Therapist that assesses all aspects of your son's expressive and receptive language skills.  As you are probably aware there are alot of disorders that can affect speech.  As they initially considered PDD it would be useful to have him assessed by a SALT that has experience of Speech Disorders and Difficulties associated with spectrum disorders.  I say that simply because he may have some traits or deficits common to a diagnosis of PDD or ASD, but simply does not have impairments across all the areas to get a diagnosis.  That may mean he may need a similar type of speech programme as a child with PDD or ASD.  For example he may have Semantic Pragmatic Disorder.  This can be a diagnosis in itself, but can be co-morbid with a diagnosis of ASD.  He might have Auditory Processing difficulties.  He may have difficulties with the concept of phonological awareness and therefore may not be learning and retaining information about sounds etc.  He may have very good expressive speech, but find it hard to re-tell a story he has heard in his own words, or he may be able to re-tell it verbatim or re-tell it correctly but out of sequence.  There really is a myriad of difficulties out there.
I would suggest start writing down what his speech difficulties are and give examples of them.  Then talk to the SALT about your concerns and also do some searching on the internet.
For example my son has difficulties re-telling a story in his own words as well as difficulties telling me about things that have happened at school.  This could be down to a speech disorder, or it could be associated with the autism aspect of Theory of Mind.  If you don't have a good ToM you do not know what information has only been made available to you compared to what other people know.  So my son might assume that I know everything he knows and therefore he doesn't need to tell me.  If you have problems with the pragmatics of language (the meaning), then you are going to get very confused with some of the things you hear and are also going to say things to people that don't really make sense.
If you can afford it, it might be worth getting a private report done, but I would recommend you contact an Educational Advocate and ask them if they know of a SALT that they would use as a professional expert in an Educational Court.
Or you could try a University that specialises in Speech and Communication Disorders and see if they would be willing to see and assess your son (you might get a free or reduced fee assessment).