Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
Herniated disc L5 S1

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

Herniated disc L5 S1

I have been in pain for almost a year. The pain changed after 3 months from lower back pain to sciatica. My first walk in clinic dr put me on muscle relaxers and anti inflammatories which helped the first problem not the second. Sent me to an ortho. Then the xray showed nothing so sent me for an MRI. New ortho takked to me for 3 minutes on a wait and see strategy. Recc surgery if it didnt go away. Recc epidural but said it wouldnt fix it just stop the pain. After months...pain got worse and throbbing. It started to go numb and tingle. Went to chiro (chiro fixed my pinched nerve 8 years ago) this one didnt help at all. Got new dr. 2 werks ago who tried gabapentin which made me sick and pred which helped but cant be taken long term. Insurance wont cover acupuncture...today dr recc epidural but last nurse and online stats say it eont fix it. Dont want to do it to have only temporary relief!! Anyone?

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

I understand ur not wanting to band aid this, but if u r in  a lot of pain u may want to get relief while u pursue the root cause.... u tried meds, which also is a band aid of sorts, not a fix....so, if this may help u with ur pain y not take a vacation from pain however long/short lived it is .....

Have they done a brain MRI to see if the issue is higher in the cervical spine?

Do u have copies of the MRI and the report?
I do not have copies...my new dr just wanted the report. She said that this is the only thing we can try now...last dr said surgery was the only option...chiro gave up...the meds were suppose to take away the pain snd stop it permanently. I didnt want painkillers because they wouldnt fix it. I took the pills in the hope that they would fix it not band aid it...
I dont want a vacation from the pain if it is going to be lifelong...

I thought u could look further into this....

Not sure I understand y the chiro gave up...sorry , I know  a lot of us including myself have chronic pain....but I do not understand y u can not get an opinion from diff drs ...request a copy of the MRI and see what a few other Drs have to say....

and in the mean time u could take the vacation from pain...I know if it is something u will always have u may have to learn to live with some pain , but not all of it...I do not like to band aid pain when I do not know the root cause...if u do, and there is no way to fix it, then pain meds can help make it manageable....

Wish I knew how to offer u some help.