Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
Just diagnosed with Myelomalcia?

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

Just diagnosed with Myelomalcia?

I have already had three spine surgeries.   Two low back, and one neck surgery.  I had a shunt placed at c-2 to t 1.5        my most recent MRI has shown this new finding.  What is it?  I can't get into a Neuro FOREVER .. they are all too backed up.

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

Myelomalcia is a softening of the spinal cord.....it can be from an injury or bleeding.....it can also be the result of a surgery if I remember that correctly....

May I ask what ur DX was that u got the shunt? PTC?.....
I had a minor car wreck in 1998, by 1999 they finally did an MRI, and I had a syringomyelia  :*(   after another car wreck in late 1999 -- had another MRI, and the syringo had progressed -- so they had to put in a syringosubarachnoid shunt .. it was a miserable surgery, nasty recovery ..   I've managed to have a pretty good life since then, however the surgery left me with a numb left arm --  and I still have nasty pain in the back of my head.   I've had two low back surgeries as well.    It's taken over my life.   I have a routine MRI every year, and this is the first one in all those years that has shown  Myleomalacia .. my Primary care had no clue what it is .. it's somewhere between c-2 and c-5  ...   I have a neuro appointment on friday -- here in Columbus .. I really am scared.   I have four daughters I need to LIVE for.     :*(

OIC....wow, u have had a lot going on.....

Good Luck on Friday and let us know how it goes....

Know u r not alone : )