Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
More Surgery?
About This Community:

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

More Surgery?

I had a spinal fusion done 12/12 on L4-S1.  Now the screws have come loose in L4 and bone growth is not happening.  I have been placed on a bone growth stimulator.  But now my surgeon wants to go back in and put bigger screw in L4 from the back then he wants to go in through the front and put in a plate covering all three vertebrae.  What would happen if I don't do this second surgery?  Do I really need this?  I am in pain but it is something I have come to live with because none of the pain meds work on nerve pain and I can't take Lyrica or Norontin.  Please help.
Tags: fusion, Spinal fusion, do I really need this
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
620923_tn?1393294254

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

May I ask what u r taking for pain ...many pain meds can inhibit bone growth and  repair....so u may want to look at what u r taking...even some OTC meds may impede healing.

Loose screws can only continue to cause u more issues...so I would imagine u need something done...if u do not trust the decision of ur Dr , try and get another opinion....
Blank
This happened to me after a car accident.  It shifted my screws and plate.  It wasn't where the Dr.  Put it.  I too had to have surgery.  First, it was unstable and with one good it, you could become paralized.  Not worth it.  Second, it could shift and cut into your spinal cord.  Simple, better safe than sorry.  Why take the risk.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...