Pregnancy risk
I am a 30 year old woman with Spina Bifida. Can anyone give me an idea of the risk of having a child with Spina Bifida also
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
620923 tn?1452919248

HI and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

We are all different as to how a condition may affect us, so u need to speak with ur individual neurologist and ur OBGYN as to how ur body will be able to handle a pregnancy....

Do u have limitations as a result of ur condition?If so, what are they and how do u feel a pregnancy could affect u?

U know ur body the best as to how u rebound from illness or injury and u must take that into account with this,,,,

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Well its not so much how I feel I would cope with it. I would love dearly to have a child but the fear of potentially passing on the Spina Bifida scares me and just want to weigh up the risks...
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
620923 tn?1452919248

I do believe that research into how this is passed on is still being done as it can be a lack of certain minerals....

With Chiari Malformation which is related to SB, they will not say it can be passed, but we have so many parents with children with it....so even tho they r not sure how, it still can happen.....

It is also possible that ur child could have a lesser form of it....I really feel ur OBGYN should be able to help with these concerns...I wish I could offer more insight....my DD is TTC and I do worry about what she may pass along....but pray for a positive outcome <3
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Hi Suz, Im new to this site, otherwise I would have seen your post earlier!  I was born with spina bifida, fortunately for me I have had five perfectly healthy children, the youngest of which is nearly 16.  I also have two lovely grandchildren and neither of them have any issues either.  

I dont know what your limitations are, but I do know that the tests that are carried out now on expectant mothers are really good, particularly if there are preexisting conditions.

All the best, let us know how you get on........
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Pain Tracker
Pain
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
19538311 tn?1480493451
Blank