Risks involved in Lumber microdecompression (L4 L5)
My mother was having constant back pain that extended towards leg for the past couple of years. Medications helped but only as a temporary solution. Recently after MRI, the doc suggested Micro-lumber Decompression of l4 l5.

Though the doc assured that this surgery involves the least amount of risk, I would like to know about all the possible risk factors involved during, as well as, after the surgery. Considerig, she is almost 55yrs old now, are there chances of relapse of the disease/symtoms in future?

Also, she has had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago. Can multiple surgeries affect health of the patients in a negative way at this age?

Will be greatful if my queries are addressed soon since it will a great deal in taking the right decision.

thanks & Regards

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

I am not sure what u mean by her age and having surgery or several at that age, I think it is more how her overall health is...if she is healthy 55 should not be the issue...yet again, if at 55 her health is poor then several surgeries can be an issue.

At 49 I had 2 surgeries in a few months time and then had a major surgery a few months later....it did not have an impact on me, but I did benefit from the surgery....

U and ur mom need to discuss the benefits and risks with her Drs only they can tell u how she will fair.