Surgery or physical therapy
1. 2mm central subligamentous disc herniation at the c5/c6 level, impinging on the ventral aspect of the cervical cord.
2. Minimal reversal of the normal lordotic curvature of the cervical spine is present at the c5/c6 level.

My question is if my doctor said all i need is physical therapy. Is he right, or will that mean that this can happen again at any time? I was in a car accident 15 yrs ago and went through this pain before and never new if it was from a hernaited disc or if this is an after effect from that or not? Is it wise to not have surgery or or take the risk of it happening again. I did this from doiung strenuous lifting the night before the pain started again. Please advise me better..

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

As I was reading ur  #'s 1 & 2 I wondered if u were in a MVA of some kind, bcuz of the type of issue u were having, I would say u may even have whip lash bcuz of the loss of the cervical lordosis...PT can help....since both ur loss of lordosis and ur disk herniation seem to be at the same level, u may find PT to be a great relief.

I had whip lash and loss of cervical lordosis and had PT, it did wonders....so, until u try u will not know, and most Drs will start with PT first as most ins comps mandate that they do...there r steps to go thru and there r usually reasons behind it. With whip lash the muscles twist and spasm and pull in the wrong direction and this is y we hurt and how we lose the lordosis...the pulling, twists it out of it's natural shape, if u work those muscles back to where they belong, and strengthen them u may do better if u would still need surgery, u would heal better.

Surgery is not always a fix or the fix we expect....