Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
Synovial cyst

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

Synovial cyst

Last summer my wife started having sciatic pain in her left leg, her GP sent her for an MRI which showed a synovial cyst on her spine that was pinching the nerves causing her sciatic pain. The pain has gotten worse and started going down both legs. She was sent for another MRI but she was unable to lay on the table. She tries to sleep sitting in a recliner, is on modified duty at work. In August 2013 she was referred to a neurologist, but there is a 1-2 year wait for a call from them, and another 6-8 month wait after you get called for your actual appt.

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

I know the medical professionals tend to crawl at a snails pace, and it takes long to get in, when in pain this time seems to double....

From what I read concerning these painful cysts is u do not want to immobolize the joint as it can cause the joint to fixate or my take on the use of the word to no longer have ROM in the joint.

Have they expressed ne of the fluid at this point?
Nothing has been done, last August she was referred to a neuro, but we are still waiting for a call, 1-2 year wait.
How can we alleviate the pain, Ed's are not working, T4, morphine, hydromorphone, dillatin, nothing helps

One I would call the Dr's office and ask to get on the cancellation list so if someone cancels an appointment she may get in sooner.

Next, ask the Dr what if nething she can do in the meantime...not sure if stretching or the use of heat might work.....so it is something u need to ask about.....

I did find this -
If the synovial cyst is not creating a lot of dysfunction or pain in the patient’s daily life, no medical treatments may be necessary. Since the pain is usually caused by certain positions, changing positions is a reasonable way to deal with the pain as long as a patient can still function adequately.

For exercise, it may be preferable for the patient to try stationary biking instead of walking, because in the seated position the patient should be fairly comfortable.
Surgery is only necessary for those patients that would like to do more activity with less pain. The surgery is very effective for treatment of this condition. The most successful surgery tends to be a decompression with a fusion (approximately a 90-95% success rate should be expected, which means a significant reduction in pain, not necessarily pain free), but this is also the treatment that is the hardest to go through and changes the biomechanics of the spine. It should be considered for people with moderate to severe activity limitations that have joint instability along with the cyst, and who have failed nonsurgical treatments such as injections.
(source- http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/treatment-options-synovial-cysts)
The only suggestions for pain is to change positions...sorry wish I could locate more info.
The pain is almost constant no matter what postion, at on e time changing position helped, but not any longer. Already asked to be put on the cancellation list, with everybody else who is waiting the 1-2 years. We are grasping at straws at this point.
Thanx for the advice.

I am so sorry...wish I knew what else may help....I can only suggest asking the Dr's office staff if heat would help....

Sending <3 ((hugs)) and prayers for ur DW that she gets relief soon.
Thank you for your help and concern

U r more then welcome....I saw u posted in the neuro forum and the Dr that replies there suggested PM....but it seems she has tried that,....I am so sorry u r getting nowhere fast,,,wish I could have found something more for u.
I too have a cyst drained or removed (not sure) and my pain has persisted; I have posted questions on this forum about information for chiropractic decompression therapy and the TNF injection that doctor in California is doing that is suppose to be a miracle cure! (google improvement in 30 minutes for sciatica on Utube).  The chiropractic decompression is basically computer generated traction on a machine that takes several treatments and lots of $$!  The chiropractor says he can cure sciatica with the decompression machine but my doctor says back will heal itself and this is a hype. I wish there was an answer but I've about decided there is not an answer.  My neurosurgeon advised me he cured himself with epidural injections a lots swimming. Im scheduled for epidural steroid and PT along with water aerobics next week.  I would search for a doctor with a shorter waiting period for your wife.  I will update if anything seems to help. Maybe someone will have an answer soon!