Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
dermal sinus tract

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

dermal sinus tract

I have a granddaughter that was diagnosed with a dermal sinus tract at birth.  She has a dimple located at the top of her buttock crease.  Her crease seems a bit elongated.  Her right eye is slightly larger than the left and it has a vertical, oval-shaped pupil.  Both eyes seem to tear all the time.  In the morning they are both a bit crusty.  She moves all extremities normally.  I am wondering if her eye problems relate to the sinus tract, and if so, just how extensive are her anomalies.

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

Dermal sinus tracts are remnants of incomplete neural
tube closure.These tracts may be associated with lesions that tether the spinal cord and can either become infected or produce neurological deficits.

I too have the sacral dimple, and mine is tethered....many times I have the eye issue too, I was told this can be dry eye, even tho it is watering so much....it can be associated with the condition.

Have they done ne MRI's?
No, they haven't.  Her mother was told to have schedule an MRI for her at 3 months, which will be early July.  

The MRI will give u more of an indication of what is going on, I would suggest, they do a cervical spine MRI as well as Lumbar as it can cause Chiari if she does have a tethered cord....so if she is going in do them all as I am sure they will sedate her for it.

Lumbar,thoracic cervical and brain....