Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
epidurals

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

epidurals

Hi! I have a question about epidurals

I have cervical stenosis with mylopthy from a herniated disc at c5/6. I'm having a bunch of problems ranging from numbness in arms and legs, bad muscle weakness and muscle fatigue, tripping, dropping things, loss of balance and problems gripping things. Only in the last 2 weeks have I developed pain and it's not that bad (well I've had really bad pain in the past but it comes and goes).

I just saw a neurosurgen for the 1st time today and after only looking at my MRI for 20 seconds he said he can start giving me epidurals and if those don't help he can fix me with surgery, a really easy surgery that will only take him 30 minutes (hm, gotta love that's all the detail he gave me! Ug!)

My question: Is getting an epidural worth it? Especially since my pain isn't that bad and it's the other symptoms (from spinal cord compression) that are bothering me. Can epidurals cause damage if done wrong?

Anyone else have experience with epidurals? What are your though

Hi...u r right to be leery about this dr and his willingness to move forward with giving u such limited info....

U can get a CSF leak from  the epidural and that is awful pain....and if u do not have pain, then y would u need it.

But, the fact u do not have pain does not mean u should do nothing...when nerves r compressed for a long period of time they can get damaged to the point u do not feel pain.....

U may want to see another dr since this one did not explain things so u understand......

Do u have copies of ur MRI on CD? Is it of the brain and cervical spine?

I am curious since ur symptoms seem to cycle.

"selma"
I second the idea of a second opinion. I've got c-spine and l-spine problems I'm being treated for, and have seen a lot of docs, from neurologists to neurosurgeons, along with my PCP and others, and am currently being treated with a combination of physical therapy, meds, and injection therapy. I do have radiculopathy in all extremities, including pain, numbness, etc., enough to cause insomnia and other QOL problems. My treatment team considers surgery to be the treatment of last resort, to be used only when all other avenues have been exhausted. Surgery may be quick and simple, and may work. But it also has a high downside risk compared to more conservative approaches.
Pain Tracker
Pain
motye51 commented on savemom's status
cjtmn commented on ConfirmedRachel's status
cjtmn commented on Corriel's status
Feb 09