lower lumbar compression
Is is common to have an epidural for a 5mm lower lumbar disc compression? My Pain Specialist wants to do one on me.  This whole spine thing is new to me so i thought i would ask around.

Hi, from what I have read , yes this is a common practice for this issue....

Many times they will also look at what causes the compression, and consider those issues into treatment, and try all non surgical ones first.

I pray this works for u. Do post updates after u had the injection so we know how it works for u : )
Hello!  Well today i had a cortisone injection guided by fluoroscopy in my cervical spine and it went well.  Im pretty sore right now but i know it will be a couple of days till i will be able to have more movement range in my neck. The doctor didnt want to do my lumbar and my cervical at the same time due to the amount of cortisone he was injecting.  At this point...Im really happy he made that descision because this isnt fun!  LOL!!  I have a recheck appointment with him in a couple of weeks to check if this injection was helpful and if i will need more.  I would also like to know what i can do as a preventative to keep my spine healthy.

Hi, well not being a Dr, I can only tell u what I was told, and I am sure at some point in ur life u heard this too...POSTURE is very important for our spine. There is a method that I have yet to try, but was suggested to me by  my NL...it is Feldenkrais by Moshe I hope I have the spelling correct....

Here is a link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvoBRIHdqbs&feature=related
Hi Selma,

Whether or not to do a epidural is really up to you, and should largely depend upon how much pain you have. If you are in a lot of pain every day, and it adversely affects your work, your regular activities, and your functioning (in other words your LIFE), then, by all means, go for it!

But in the end, it's your decision. Good luck!

BTW, I had a few epidurals, which helped me a lot . The last one lasted barely 3 weeks, and I am scheduled for surgery early next month. ( I have severe central cord stenosis and spondylolysthesis at L4-L5, with  enlarged ligaments all contributing to the stenosis.)

Good luck

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

I was not the one needing a epidural or LP, but I did respond to someone that asked....and I agree we all have to make the choice along with our Dr which treatment is best for us.

I also have stinosis and wish u a smooth procedure and recovery....do post an update in ur progress : )