Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
questionging my disability

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

questionging my disability

I am so enraged, so hurt.  Normally I am an even going person, no problem free zone.  Until today.
An incident took place today at my local supermarket parking lot.  Who knew that a trip to the store could turn me into an emotional basket case, I couldn't stop smacking, nor could I talk.  emotional was so upset I was left me shaking.  Well, enough of that, let me tell the story.  I got out of my car which I parked in a handicapped spot, which I have the sticker placed clearly for all to see.  When a woman shouting at me saying that I should be ashamed at myself for using a handicapped parking space.  I don't know why, but I tried to explain my situation, bit she kept screaming at me.  I first off was mortified, embarrassed, and at the same time hurt and pissed.  I try really hard to walk normal, act normal and not give into the pain.  I stretch constantly trying to lpkeep

I know how u feel I also have a handicap placard and can feel the stings from people and I use a cane....I know I have not had the shouting but sometimes it is the silent stares that r the loudest....it feels the same as if they r all shouting u do not really need that spot....not sure if not me, then who?

It is not worth u explaining, u have the proper info and u know...next time contact the store manager and say u r being harassed.Hopefully that will make the woman think twice b4 she opens her mouth again....

Invisible conditions r as real as a broken leg, and it is reason enuff to have the placard...,use it and ignore those ignorant individuals .

((hugs))
Don't get angry. No one needs to know your disability. That is between you and your doctor. You can't respond to ignorant people. No matter what you say, they will find fault from the sounds of what you are describing. Keep that in mind and go about your day because you have the right to enjoy your day, especially if it pisses off someone else who doesn't understand. Keep smiling.
I have dealt w/ this for 20-some years. I have multiple sclerosis and now have spinal stenosis and terrible osteoarthritis as well.

I've gotten to the point where I ignore them, or, better yet, shame them by saying in an honest, straightforward manner, something like this: "excuse me, but I am disabled--you should know that not everyone with a serious disability uses a wheelchair."

Say it calmly, but seriously. If they keep yelling at you, just walk away. Or, if you're wanting to respond, suggest they call the police as your doctor is the one who signed the form.

Try not to let idiots get under your skin!
I have been through that situation years ago.  I also tried to look normal and sometimes I was in remission.  I have MS and spinal stenosis in all three parts of the spine and disc problems from the way I walked with MS before I had PT.  People are angry for all sorts of reasons.  I have found the best thing to do is NOT explain - you do not owe anyone an explanation - and just smile and go on your merry way.  Do not let/allow these people to steal your energy because I know that you need all that energy to try and look normal and walk without falling.  You might even call the police or tell the person you will call the police.  
Over many decades this has happened to me only a handful of times but I an unwilling to give any of these deranged thinkers any of my energy!
I have MS and spinal stenosis and the osteo arthritis too!  It stinks not being able to walk to condition myself when I am in remission from the MS.  They can do surgery for stenosis but with the MS I am reluctant.  I wish you the best!
I take the bus and when an elderly person gets on, I don't stand and offer them my seat, instead I tell the 15 year old (who I watched pay, so I know they don't have disability pass) to get up.  This always gets me looks.  I just wish I could ask people wearing fragrances to get out of the handicapped area of the bus!

I know what u mean....some swim in perfume and it does not smell nice ...it can gag me at times....

That is a good idea to ask the young to get up....not all of us have a visible disability and can not offer our seat.....

I use a cane, so it is obvious I have something going on, but other then that I am sure people still wonder., I say let them....lol...