Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
syringomyelia and bulging discs

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

syringomyelia and bulging discs

I have read threw many boards but never posted before. If anyone can give their insight or opinion on my case I would love to know I'm not the only one like this, even tho anyone that understands I'm terribly sorry for your pain and suffering. My brain MRI from 2 months ago says normal my cervical mri says 'small' central syrinx from c2-3 through to c7-t11, mild disc bulge at c5-6,and straightening of mid cervical spine.
My thoracic mri says disc desiccation at t5-6 with a syrinx throughout cord that's anterior in upper cord & centrally located in lower, syrinx most prominent at t5. Small spurs present from t4-t7.
Lumbar mri is old..2009, but says disc desiccation L3-4 & L4-5 with central broad based disc bulge . Small protructions can't be excluded. Mild straightening of lumbar lordosis,effacement of sac at those those 2 levels.mild facet hypertrophy &straightening.  Wth does it mean other then OUCH!?!
Anyone know what can cause syringomyelia but no chiari? I also have endometriosis

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

May I ask, were u in a MVA? DO u have a copy of ur MRI and the report?

The reason I asked about a MVA is bcuz of the loss of the curve of the  cervical  lordosis...whip lash can cause this, and when u have a trauma to an area u can have a syrinx form....

I also wonder if u may have Ehlers-Danlos  if u were not in an MVA to try and explain the disk issues...

I also wonder about chiari or low lying tonsils...do u recall if they were mentioned?

There r a few reasons that can cause this...and it is hard to just guess with the info u have posted...so I hope u  do not mind the other questions...and keep in mind I am not a Dr or a medical professional...just sharing what I am learning along the way.
I've only been in a couple mva & they were when I was a child, I do have copies of my reports & they all say syringomyelia but no mention of chiari & asked neuro yesterday & besides the look she gave me she said my brain mri was normal?! Would it say chiari if indeed it was? I'm 31 & at this rate the pain has become unbearable more often then bearable even with narcotics I've not researched that condition u mentioned but will tomo, I was just diagnosed with syringomyelia 6 months ago & now most Dr believe me when I say it hurts! In ur opinion could scar tissue block/cause syrinx? If so where would blockage be? Lumbar or neck? Thanks for replying

Hi...not always...this is the problem many times we r told the brain MRI is "normal" when in fact it is not...and it may not say Chiari, it may have other wording that may elude to it....

Scar tissue and even the bulging disk can cause CSF flow to be restricted....
And much of ur pain can also be due to the lordosis...that pulls muscles and twists them and causes HA's and all sorts of issues.

The blockage all depends on where the largest issue is..such as where the disk is bulging out the furthest etc...it must be above the first syrinx....this is y with the first one on the cervical spine I thought u may have Chiari....
you have no idea how much better I feel that I'm able to communicate with ppl that have an idea what I've been dealing with! & that agree with what I've been thinking! I'll have to post my brain  mri when I get home & see if u might recognize any key 'chiari' markers if u don't mind? Thanks again!
Can u explain a bit about low lying tonsils? & in your own experience is there any correlation with raynauds.. But not the typical condition as mine only usually effects the tip of my right index finger from top to half way down the finger, its only done it to the left finger in same spot one time?? I'm a mess lol but try to keep a positive attitude :-)  its so hard when it hurts to move & I have to work or deal with my 8yr old daughter &/or my 9 & 10yr old step sons that we have full time! I laugh at 'reduce ur stress' comments!
I'm just getting off work & ten hours on my feet, selling supplements with a fake smile *****! Between my shoulder blades it feels like something is chiseling away little by little, its worse when sitting as my tail bone has begun to throb also.. Belly is upset & periods are wacky! I know I'm getting older but being 31 shouldn't hurt like this! now my aunt wants me to look up cyp2d6 deficiency which apparently runs in my family! How lovely?!
Brain mri- there is normal gray-white interface. No intracerebral hemorrhage, midline shift, space occupying abnormality, infraction or infection is evident. No enhancing lesion is identified. The corpus callosum, pituitary, brainstem and visualized spinal cord appear to be normal signal intensity. The ventricles,cisterns, and suici are appropriate for patients age, the visualized medullary bone shows no focal lesion. Facial structures are unremarkable. diffusion-weighted images reveal no evidence of diffusion restriction... says mri was essentially normal.

Hi.....Raynauds and the connection is more to do with a related condition called Ehlers-Danlos....I have this in addition to Chiari and was dx'd yrs earlier with Raynauds....now I know it is Raynauds Phenomenon as a result of EDS..

Low lying tonsils can result from a few different sets of circumstances...one can be congenital ...the malformation of the skull, the area that hold the cerebral tonsils is too small and it can force the tonsils out of the foreman magmum....

Knowing u have an absorption issue like the  cyp2d6 deficiency could really be at the root of many of ur issues...something to look into with ur Dr.

Ur brain MRI does not mention low lying tonsils....so with out seeing it I would venture to say that either u  do not have it or the radiologist did not mention it...too many do not consider it important enuff to mention.