Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
treatment of cervical spinal stenosis/myelopathy

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

Given the results of my MRI, I was advised by my back doctor that I had Intervert Cervical Disc  with myelopathy at my c5-7 rem gion.  My L5-S1 reflects evidence of bilateral spondylolysis. Myelomalacia at the C6-7 level, with C5-C6 mild central tenoi with available space for the spinal cord of 8.5mm. The C6-7 has moderate central tenois with space for the cord at 7.4.

He has recommended C5-7 ANTERIOR CERVICAL DICECTOMY AND FUSION.  

I am having numbness and tingling in my arms and legs. I feel like I am losing mobility with my legs, I have severe headache ,neck pain, back pain, my balance is also being affected.

Is this the only treatment for this condition? I am in so much pain that I am unable to obtain a second opinion and hope that I am not taking the only option given to me. I was also told that I could be paralyzed in a couple years and have more severe pain if the fusion is not done.

My lower back, he said could be addressed with surgery in 6 months. It that the only alternative I was give was to have the surgery or down the road be paralyzed.

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

Not being in the medical profession I can only give u a chart that  shows the nerves and what will be affected if they r impinged.....

Not sure y u can not get a 2nd opinion....many Drs will review a MRI for a nominal fee or free...so obtain copies of ur MRI and the report, u should be able to call the location that did the studies and request them.It will be worth the little out of pocket $$ to get the peace of mind if these other Drs concur with what u have been told so far.

Here is the link to the chart -http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/show/197978?personal_page_id=197028&photo_collection_id=1369
They have to stop the spinal cord from being compressed. There are a few different operations and I am in the same predicament.
I am not in much pain but experiencing balance and coordination problems.