English children's skill
This is from Dail news on line; A useful article to english speaking parents.

Without that learning support and because of the inconsistencies of English orthography, English-speaking children run the risk of falling behind at least two years in terms of their reading skill when compared to children learning to read in languages with a direct relationship between letters and sounds, he said. But, if mom and dad don't have the time to invest in reading to their children and still want them to succeed with language development, then educational programs, such as Sesame Street, and multimedia tools, such as spelling programs or games, may be an alternative.

Georgiou also lauds the efforts of communities in getting behind literacy programs and encouraging the development of literacy skills through initiatives such as "raise a reader" and "read-in week." He says that these types of programs pay dividends because they are a key component in motivating children to appreciate and embrace reading as a worthwhile activity.

There are key elements Canadian parents should focus on to promote the success of their children as active readers, he says. Foremost, reading to your children is vital, as is specific exercises and games to teach them letter names and sounds. Finally, having role models as a motivation to read, whether it be an NHL player reading to a classroom full of kids or a parent at bedtime, is also highly important, says Georgiou.

"Build their motivation. If your child sees you reading at home, that sends a message to that child that you value reading."

Hmm My parents use to read to me but i only like reading certain books like Goosbumps but more so the choose your ways. My reading became much better when i started to read the text in video games like Final Fantasy Vll. It help me improve my skills and i enjoyed it. I then started to like comics to. I was never a big fan of book. I do read some that can hold my attion. Then the net also had a major impact on my reading. But yea my parents did a great job reading to me every night before bed.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
specialmom School starts next week aft... Comment
specialmom commented on photo
spider6 commented on spider6's status
Aug 20