Sport Injury Community
Help! Knee tendon keeps slipping! No forum for joints/tendons

Welcome to the Sport Injury patient support community. This community is for discussions relating to sports specific injuries: foot injuries, lower leg and ankle injuries, knee injuries, thigh injuries, hip and groin injuries, buttock injuries, lower back pain, upper back and neck pain, head injuries, chest and abdominal injuries, shoulder injuries, elbow injuries wrist and hand injuries.

Whenever my knee is bent and I rotate my foot clockwise something gets messed up in my knee. It gets stiff and starts to hurt like hell. I can just feel the tension on one of the tendons in there is holding it in a half bent position. Though the reason for the shortness of it is because it seems to slip out of place. So... I force myself to strengthen my leg, even though it is VERY painful. And then somewhere along the way while I'm straightening my leg I hear a pop and the pain imediately stops. (I guess it's popping back in place lol) the pop seems to be in the right side of my knee. And somehow the tendon feels connected to the top of my femur. So I'm guessing it's my MCL? Afture it snaps in place it will hurt for a few minutes but within about 10 the pain is completely gone, and my leg plenty flexible.(pain is in back of knee.)

It's really annoying to have this. It's happened at the least once a day, for the past 2 weeks. Even in my sleep it happens!!!! Ow! I can feel when it's in danger of slipping out out of place, though I can't tell when it has slipped out of place. So its usually already slipped before I can not bend my leg anymore.

Every day I don't bend my leg in fear that if I do it's just going to get out of place again... I don't wanna embarrace myself in shcool diving over stretching my leg out screaming motherf***er!!!!!

I'm really scared because skiing is thing and if I can't ski anymore, well than f***. Probably the reason why it's messed up in the first place though lol.
So what could be wrong? Should I go to a doc or try and heal it myself. I'm young (15)
There is an orthopedic sports injury forum on the expert side and there is a Ortho pedics on the members forums .I can imagine how it hurts ,its obvious that you should pay a visit to the doctor ..good luck
Ok thanks.

Sorry that the obove post was kind of incoherent. I was in a hurry :p
Above, Lolz.
And I don't mean yours margey... -_-

I have the same issue with my right leg. It  happen 3 times in the past month. The pain is excrutiating. Firsdt time I just strighted up my foot. Second  time my 15 year old forced in back in (I heard a pop - and I was fine) the pain whent away. Third time I could not do anyrhing I  ended up at the hospital ememrgency paied a load full of  money and Kaiser said I am OK gave me a Motrin and sent me home. The X-tray did not show disclocation. I am still in bad roling in pain and agony. It still hurts. I cannot walk at all. Only jusm in one foot.
I think the ligament is the problem, but I don't know how to snap it back in place (if it is such a thing)
Omg I have this same problem and it hurts like HELL, I'm only 13, I can't wait until I find someone who has found a fix to this.  Currently, I try to keep my leg straight, and try to avoid bending it more than 90 degrees. And how ironic that it was posted on my birthday!
I hope you finally got it to pop back into place!

My wife has this with her left leg.  We found she has to bend her knee (to stretch it, she says).  Then we slowly extend her leg very slowly (and very painfully) and then once it's at the maximum I pull on her leg a bit (not sure this helps, but it doesn't hurt her).  

Then, I start to rotate the leg to the left (outward), and then *POP* - it's goes back in. I immediately know it's back in from the vibration and the sound.  

This has happened several times.  Before we knew the secret to popping it back in, the ER took x-rays and said she was fine and was going to send her home but accidentally popped it back in.  An acupuncturist/Chinese doctor said the same thing, and I was able to pop it back in accidentally, but then we made a point to remember what we did so we could do it again the next time.  

I'm looking to see what the cure is, since the doctors don't seem to think it's not a problem, but while it's "out" she can't walk, and can only extend her leg with much pain.  
I have had this happen off and on for over a year, went to the orthapedic doctor he did xrays will not show in the back of the knee so did an MRI said something about miniskus and a flap and unless it is affecting my daily life and functioning he didnt recommend surgery because he would have to remove the whole thing that was over 6 months ago then was careful to avoid it slipping out because my daughter is the only person that seems to be able to get it to go back in she has me lay on the floor she stretches my leg out while I scream as it feels like a dislocated shoulder then she pushes downward and we hear it pop which the surgeon thought was crazy anyway the other day the firemen came because it slipped out and my daughter couldnt get it in this time me in the ambulance at the emergency room screaming while they did xrays that I already told them would not show the problem and of course it didnt show that anything was out of place my daughter tried again and this time it went in and they referred me back to the ortho doc, so Im going to get a second opinion form a different ortho doctor and will update all of you since now I know there are others that have this too
I hear ya man. So far i haven't had it as bad as you guys yet! (thank God for that). The first time It happened it scare the sh#t out of me (it's like the nerves pinch together . When it happened with my left knee, the knee tend to cave inward to my right knee. The strength was reduce, leaving it prone to happen again (3 times before one night). I've been thinking to go see a orthopedic but i don't know if I'll have much results either from what I've heard from you guys, seeing as though the doctors can't find anything wrong.
I have the same problem, the first few was in bed when i twisted it quickly and the 3rd time i was getting into my car, I usually sit there for 45 mins in pain till something in me relaxes, to be honest i pray really hard haha then cry, then i rest and it comes free. One thing i found works is to get my boyfriend to hold my leg while i let it drop (the muscles are stressed so it makes it more painful if you try to use your leg) so i get him to straighten it out while i try my hardest not to use my leg or do it myself...however when you are alone it is harder, in my car (people around eek) i just let it drop out of the side of my car and it popped back in when i relaxed it too the ground and tried to stand on it lightly, the main key is not to stress its just a bit of skin or muscle that gets stuck between the bones ( my dad says as he is a scientist ) oh and BREATH, calm down makes the pain go away!
hey I really need helping with popping mine in if you or anyone else could email me on how they have done it in the past I would be very thankful ***@****
I am currently stuck at my dining room table with the same problem. The pain is excruciating. The last time it popped out in a fast food drive through. My wife had to come from work to help me because i could not pop it back in place. Whenever i tilt my left leg to the left it will pop out of place. What is this??? Ligament damage? It started after I hurt it playing basketball. It has been scoped before. I hope I can get it back into place without passing out. :-)
Did you ever get a diagnosis with what was happening to your knee? I have the same problem. I have seen one doctor so far, not going back to him real Jackass. I will be getting an MRI because he thinks I have a torn meniscus, I don't believe he heard what I was explaining to him at all.  
This has been happening to me since I was in middle school!! I remember the first time. I was squatting down in front of my locker and something felt like it snapped into the wrong place behind my knee. The pain was unbearable and I was absolutely terrified to straighten my leg! Classes started and I was left paralyzed on the floor in the hallway until a teacher found me. I can't say it was from an injury because it happens to both knees :( And always only happens when I crouch or squat down. Eventually I get the guts to straighten my leg (or my husband has to do it for me if it's real bad) and pop it back in. It's never happened in my sleep so I'm not sure if what is happening to me is the same as everyone else on this thread. I would love a diagnoses or a "cure" but I'm just really frigging happy to know I'm not alone in this. Ugh. I hope someone will keep us all posted if they find out what it is or what causes it!!
For anyone still keeping tabs on this forum I am almost positive I found a name for this problem. It's called Plica Syndrome. There is good information on Wikipedia about it.
Hi, I just read your post...Thanks for the info....I had this problem since I was about 10 years old...My dr. actually told me it was air popping like when you crack your knuckles...I don't think he fully understands what is happening to my knee...I thought I was the only person experiencing this problem...Again thank you..
This has happened to be several times in my life but each time, it's scary. Last night it happened and I wasn't sure how it was going to go back in. I sat there in pain, not able to straighten or bend my leg without it hurting and feeling crooked/off. After waking up my husband and contemplating what we were going to do to get it back in, I found this site which brought me much comfort. I read the posts, which helped tremendously, and was finally able to relax it and straighten it so it popped back in. Good luck to all of you experiencing this.
I have read your post and I am sorry for your injury. You can't heal the problem yourself, because the ligaments don't recover on their own. From what I read I am almost sure you tore one. I have torn my ACL and had it reconstructed. You may skip the operation, but you must wear a medical knee brace in order to practice any sport. Have in mind that you may do damage on your knee more than you think, so I advice visiting a doc. He will do some twists on your knee to check the ligaments. Usually if there is a partial tear he will not be able to tell it and will advice a MRI.  X -rays are only good for fractures and if 3-5 days passed there is not really any good of them, because the bones start to heal to one another. Only a MRI can tell more of the injury, but it is usually a costly procedure. My advice is visit the doc and wear a brace.
My son is 15 and he just got diagnosed with your EXACT symptoms.  It sounds like most people who posted here have Discoid Meniscus :  http://www.orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00570
My husband has this exact issue. He is usually able to pop it back in but was not able to do it today. So we went to the ER where they took an xray and nothing showed up, like what was mentioned by someone in an earlier post. It is SO good to know there are others with this same issue! He has not been able to get it back in yet, hopefully he will soon! He will be seeing an orto so I am very thankful for the diagnosis recently mentioned. Was your son able to pop his back in like everyone else mentioned? I did not see that mentioned on the website you gave as one of the symptoms/remedy so I just wanted to check if he had that also.
I have a solution that works for me and I hope it works for others.
Sit down, with the subject leg bent so your ankle is over your good leg, take one hand and pull up on your ankle while your other hand pushes down on your subject knee. While continuing to apply this pressure slowly straighten the subject leg. No pop, no pain, all better. I stumbled on this technique in junior high 35 years ago and used it for several years. The problem went away for several decades and recently returned. Technique still works like a champ. Liberating and simple!
I have the same thing. I play a lot of sports so this may be why. But does your knee also get heavy? Like it feels heavy as if there is water inside it. Other times it gets really really tight. I looked it up on the Internet which probably wasnt a good idea but it said a deploid meniscus I think. It had the same symptoms. It really is a pain. I was told maybe I should take a break but I dont want to cause its sports lol. Hopefully this helps
Avatar n tn
I too have suffered with this since I was a junior in high school (I'm 23 now) and it is *excruciating* when it happens! I have never been able to describe the pain accurately, my family thinks I am just whining and making a big deal of nothing. I definitely know that it started for me when I tripped over my cat. I think my weight just landed weird and the tendons/ligaments on the outside of my left knee took the brunt of the fall. I heard a loud "pop" and the pain I felt at the time I can only describe as "seeing stars" it was so bad. I couldn't breathe, couldn't think, couldn't cry... it was just such an instantaneous shock of pain. I sat there a minute and then somehow got my senses back enough to try and crawl towards the couch. As soon as I moved my painful leg though, the knee snapped back into place and the pain was gone as quickly as it had come. Instant relief. The knee was a bit tender for quite some time after that, not all the time, but if I were to squat down and bend my knees (like when I would be digging in my locker and what not) it felt a little sore or swollen inside the joint, absolutely nothing even close to the pain I had initially felt though. Ever since then, my knee has continued to pop out like that, but it is a very specific scenario that it happens, so I am usually just aware and careful. Sounds odd, but now the only time I have to worry is if I squat down on the floor and it is slippery. It's usually if I am wiping the tile flooring in my kitchen. I will be bent down washing, and my foot will slide a little bit on the wet floor, and I can right away feel that it is going to pop out if I don't immediately straighten my leg back out. It's like it overextends a little bit or something. If it does happen to pop out (and I get hit with that awful pain again) it will fix itself and go back in place if I just immediately straighten the leg, almost feels like I am pushing towards/into the pain... if that makes sense. It goes against what your brain wants to do (which is basically just freeze and not make it worse) but I have sort of trained my brain to know that the pain will end the second I push into it... so it's more of an automatic reaction now, thank goodness. I almost think that if you do happen to freeze up and allow yourself time to think, it is harder to relax yourself enough to be able to move it, everything in you is saying "don't move"! It is such a quick pain here/pain gone sort of thing though, the next time you feel it start to go, instantly move the leg before you have a chance to really feel the pain-- it works!
I believe I have this problem also and found this thread to be very helpful. 'pop out' occurs when knee is folded, often with torsion, almost feels like something is slipping. Quite painful to straighten leg but inevitably it 'pops in' and pain goes away, feels somewhat tingly/sore afterwards. Using arm not leg muscle to straighten helps me.

Upon further research, references to 'discoid meniscus' and 'plica syndrome' earlier in this thread do not appear as suitable medical diagnoses for the problem in my opinion.
I have also had this issue since I was very young (maybe 12 years old). I am now 24 and just had it happen this morning, but this time it lasted for 4 hours. I tried to straighten it and it just wouldn't go. Went to the doctor, she tried to straighten it, sent me into tears instead. Got crutches, hobbled around for an hour, then after being in and out of the car trying to find a walk in ortho clinic, the leg just finally relaxed and I was able to straighten it. My best advice is to keep it bent, breathe, take an advil, watch tv or something to distract yourself, then as you feel it releasing, try to straighten it. I also think sitting up with both feet flat on the floor (which felt fine for me) helped it relax. If anyone figures out what this is called or how you can stop it please help us all out!
I have this problem too.  I'm not even going to say anything to my doctor. I doubt they would know what I'm talking about.  I would just lay there and slowly extend my leg until it went back in place.  So annoying and painful.  
Avatar n tn
I have the same issue as many describe here. It happens when my leg is bent completely. It then seems to get stuck when I try to straighten it, followed by excruciating pain until I can straighten my leg again, where there is a super loud pop. Sometimes but not always there is some mild pain after. Sometimes I can only roll around on the ground in complete agony until I have the stones to just suck it up and pop it back into place. I don't bother with doctors but I was curious what is going on since it happens every now and then.. and found this thread.
I've been having this since 12ish.  It's getting worse lately.  I've been falling while walking due to the unexpected painful pop.  Just saw the doc, took X-ray and MRI.  X-ray was fine, awaiting on the MRI results.. So frustrated not able to walk.