Sports Nutrition & Hydration Community
Overtraining?

Before, during, and post-exercising, nutrition and hydration are essential to replenish necessary nutrients and help you achieve peak performance. The purpose of the community is to share support and information, including dietary and hydration best practices for sports.

Overtraining?

My resting HR was always around 52-55, but it is more like 65 now, for the past few weeks.  I also am reaching my 85% HR target much quicker in my workouts.  Some bizarre dizzy/lightheaded spells lately too, which may or mat not even be related.  

My workouts are as follow:  2x/week heavy lifting.  I take 1 week off every 12 weeks.
                                         3x/week cardio on treadmill/bike/eliptical for 45-60 min in an aerobic zone (HR 155ish)

I'm 38 so a HR of 155 is nearing anaerobic, in theory, but I can easily hold a conversation at 155.  I don't start feeling "winded" til my HR gets to at least 163.  

So if I have overtrained how long should I rest and is it the weightlifting or running that did it?  Also if it was just the weightlifting that cause it, can I still run while I take a break from weights?

Try this and let me know how you like it!

The Peak 8 routine it will quickly raise your heart rate 8 times for very short bursts, with a cooling down period in between. Ideally you’ll be sprinting or cycling full throttle for 30 seconds with a 90 second cool down in between each outburst. 

This is the fastest way to lose fat and build muscle in the body. Peak 8 actually stimulates the growth hormone in the body. I encourage you to visit Dr Mercola’s site to learn more about Peak 8 fitness because I personally feel that it is one of the best ways to exercise, especially considering the speed at which you can lose fat and build muscle. 

I highly recommend you read this article and watch the videos on the page. It will give you all the information you need to know about Peak 8 – Flood Your Body With This “Youth Hormone” In Just 20 Minutes 

What you eat after Peak 8 training does matter 

It’s recommended that you do not eat sugar or carbohydrate for 2 hours after the Peak 8 exercise because these foods can impact the release of the growth hormone in the body.  The link is below 
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/11/13/phil-campbell-on-peak-8-exercises.aspx 

Figure your heart rate by this formula 
The Karvonen Formula is a mathematical formula that helps you determine your target heart rate zone. The formula involves using your maximum heart rate (MHR) minus your age to come up with a target heart rate range (which is a percentage of your MHR). Staying within this range will help you work most effectively during your cardio workouts. 

an example of the Karvonen formula for a 23 year old person with a resting heart rate of 65 beats per minute (*to get your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one full minute when you first wake up in the morning or after you've resting for a while). This formula also includes an updated calculation of maximum heart rate (the previous formula was 220 - age, which has now been shown to be inaccurate): 

206.9 - (0.67 x 23 (age)) = 191 
191 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 126 
126 * 65% (low end of heart rate zone) OR 85% (high end) = 82 OR 107 
82 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 147 
107 + 65 (rhr) = 172 
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 147 to 172 

First thing in the morning before you get out of bed have a clock with a second hand and check your resting heart rate then figure your rate by the 
Karvonen Formula above.

You burn 30 percent more fat from doing cardio after a weights session as opposed to cardio on its own.