Step Parenting Community
Being the parent who is not remarried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to step parenting, anger, behavioral issues, chores, communication, discipline, ex- spouses, family gatherings and meetings, family decisions, frustration, fun activities, grandparents and relatives, guilt, rules, stress, and time issues.

Being the parent who is not remarried

I recently got divorced and my ex remarried within weeks of our divorce being final.  I taken by surprise both by the divorce and his subsequent marriage.  We have 2 children, ages 3 and 6 who now have a step mother and 2 step brothers.  

She and I get along ok, but I am having a great deal of trouble accepting all of this and especially her relationship with my children.  I know she has their best interests at heart and she does love them, but I barely had time to get used the divorce and now my children are calling someone else mommy.

How have other people dealt with this successfully?  I want this to work, but I am still too hurt to be completely supportive.  Help.
Well I haven't been in your situation, my cousin has.  She was with a man for 18 years, had 2 kids.  They split up and about a month after she found out that he got married and it was on the day of her birthday and he did it without telling her or his kids.  She was really hurt and especially because she wasn't even able to get to know this woman and now had to accept her and her two sons in her daughter's lives.  She had no choice but to accept it for what it was and it pushed her to move on with life.  Now she's dating a man who treats her like a queen.  They have been together for a year and have decided to buy a house together.  It might be a little different because her kids were already older and they made their own decisions about their dad and this woman but in time it will get easier for you.  I think, as long as she is good to your children then that's what counts.