Step Parenting Community
Dietary guidelines for a 4 year old? Please help!!!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to step parenting, anger, behavioral issues, chores, communication, discipline, ex- spouses, family gatherings and meetings, family decisions, frustration, fun activities, grandparents and relatives, guilt, rules, stress, and time issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dietary guidelines for a 4 year old? Please help!!!

I have a 4 year old stepson who I believe is not eating very healthy when at his mother's house. She is 150+ pounds overweight. My partner (the childs father) is not very fit either, so he's decided to teach his son what is healthy and what is not. The child is not currently over weight at all, he's VERY healthy. :) But my partners goal is to prevent him from becoming overweight by teaching him good eating habits now. He tells him that if he eats healthy he'll be happy and energetic like spiderman, but if not he'll be overweight and not happy. He also tells him that he (the father) is "a little bit fat" and explains how he doesn't like it. He gives his son the option almost at every meal to eat something that's "junk food" and something that's "healthy food". And pretty much every time he picks the healthy meal! :) We both see this as a good thing. But his mother does not, she says he is not at all at risk of becoming obese (because he's not currently overweight) and says it's wrong for us to teach him these habits because it will make him obsessed with his weight later in life.

I would love to have other opinions about this. I really just want to do what is right for the child! Sad