Step Parenting Community
SD moved away Son not handling well.
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to step parenting, anger, behavioral issues, chores, communication, discipline, ex- spouses, family gatherings and meetings, family decisions, frustration, fun activities, grandparents and relatives, guilt, rules, stress, and time issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

SD moved away Son not handling well.

I have a 14 year old step daughter and a 3 year old son.  At the end of the summer our daughter moved out of state with her mother.  Our visitation has switched to 1 weekend a month now due to school schedule and distance.  My 3 year old, is not handling it well and the last 3 times we have taken her home he resorts back to diaper days!  I didn't notice it at first, but finally put the connection together last night.  I talked to him last night at bedtime and asked him what was wrong with him.  He cried and said "I miss her so much, mama."  As a mother this killed me inside. It was not a tantrum, or a normal 3 year old cry.  It was tears streaming down face, broken heart cry.  Looking for anyone else that has dealt with a similar situation and can give advice on how to get my lil guy through this transition...
Blank
5914096_tn?1399922587
My heart broke while reading your post.  As a family therapist, I think that it is wonderful that your son is able to express his feelings by talking and crying.  This ability will help him through many other difficult crises in his life.

Now that you know exactly what is troubling him, I think that you need to keep an open door of communication with your son on this issue.  Everyday, talk with your son about his feelings.  Just encouraging him to express his feelings is very therapeutic.  Also, encourage him to express his feelings to his step sister.  Maybe you could help him compose a letter to her when she is away.  This should eventually resolve this issue.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
5914096_tn?1399922587
My heart broke while reading your post.  As a family therapist, I think that it is wonderful that your son is able to express his feelings by talking and crying.  This ability will help him through many other difficult crises in his life.

Now that you know exactly what is troubling him, I think that you need to keep an open door of communication with your son on this issue.  Everyday, talk with your son about his feelings.  Just encouraging him to express his feelings is very therapeutic.  Also, encourage him to express his feelings to his step sister.  Maybe you could help him compose a letter to her when she is away.  This should eventually resolve this issue.
Blank
Thank you for your input! I will definitely continue to encourage communication with him, and writing a letter to his sister sounds fun.  
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Any chance of Skyping with her, or at least calling her sometimes?  I know a 3-year-old is not much at dialogue, but it might help.
Blank
Skype is definitely a plan, but as they have not yet moved into their permanent home its not an option yet, they don't have internet in their apartment.  I ask him daily if he wants to call, but he isn't much into talking on the phone yet.  We did a video for her today.  Still some tears tonight, but hopefully in time they will subside.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Step Parenting Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...