Step Parenting Community
my husband will not discipline his kid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to step parenting, anger, behavioral issues, chores, communication, discipline, ex- spouses, family gatherings and meetings, family decisions, frustration, fun activities, grandparents and relatives, guilt, rules, stress, and time issues.

my husband will not discipline his kid

What do  I do ? I have a six yr old little girl and he has a 14 yr old boy who is allowed to get away with whatever he wants. My husband would discipline my daughter and I put an end to that. But his son likes to play both sides of his mom and dad. Which by  the way his mom is a mental idiot who doesnt want her kids but they think she is God. So my husband is so afraid that his precious little boy might get mad and move in with his mom that he wont dicipline him. So why shoud the kid change he knows he will get by with whatever he wants. I have told my husband that he is not doing the child any good by allowing him to make his own decisions and let him do this and he tells me it is none of my business, and he will not talk to his boy in front of me he takes him in a room a closes the door because Im not allowed  to  hear the conversation. So I have had just about all I can tqke because he puts the kid first, he makes up exuses for why he shouldnt be punished and He will not change. and I am ready to get a divorce because of his brat kid.
What is it he does that he gets away with ,give some instances of his behavior, you are right it is his Dad who needs to do the disciplining, as he is 14 year old may be some of the decisions are appropiate for him to make.It sounds as if there is a need for some counseling .
Well  he talks back , He doesn't do his chores when he is told . The problem is. My husband is a Jehovas Witness and I am NOT. and he is studying with his son and of course you all know they do not celebrate the Holidays, well when the holidays come around he lets the 14 yr old son go to his mothers and have Christmas ect. and my husband has full custody of the child. the mother walked out when my step son was only 2 and came back  into his life when he was 11 when we got married .  Well the problem is he takes the holidays from my daughter, I dont feel it is right that he is strict with my daughter and not his son. And what I mean by the child gets away with what he wants., my husband claims to be a Christian but does not practice what he preaches. When it is convienient for him he uses his bible knowledge. But his son he makes exuses for.. What do I do. I thought as long as a child was under the age of 18 that had to obide by the rules?
That is totally NOT fair!  My fiance's parents are Jehovas Witness, but my fiance' has not been since he was 17 years old.  We all celebrate the holidays.  I would be soooo upset if he took that away from MY daughter, but let his other kids participate.  You MUST let your daughter participate in what YOU belive in, not her step-dad... or is she his daughter?
My family and I don't celebrate traditional holidays, either.  But we have a few members of our church who's spouse don't come to church with them.

I asked my husband how those other families handle the holidays when one spouse believes and the other spouse doesn't.

He said the church came out with a position a few years ago.  Both spouses live in the house and both spouses have their own beliefs.  It's quite unfair for the spouse that doesn't practice Christmas to force his/her beliefs on the spouse that does.  That spouse lives in half the house too.  Especially, if when you married you kept your own beliefs.  Since he married you knowing you keep Christmas it's unreasonable of him to expect your daughter not to participate in Christmas.

If he doesn't want to participate in it he can find something to do away from home that day.  

By the same token you shouldn't force him to participate in a big family holiday dinner or anything, either.