Step Parenting Community
when mom phones kids while visiting dad

This patient support community is for discussions relating to step parenting, anger, behavioral issues, chores, communication, discipline, ex- spouses, family gatherings and meetings, family decisions, frustration, fun activities, grandparents and relatives, guilt, rules, stress, and time issues.

when mom phones kids while visiting dad

I have been married to my husband for 4years. He has two children from a previous marriage. The kids have always loved coming to our house every other weekend & sometimes asked their mother to stay an extra day sometimes. The problem now is, their mother got them a cell phone to bring over when they come. That's ok...except the short time we have them to enjoy our time she is constantly texting them! I agree that the children should call or text her goodnight. And I as the stepmom encourage that. But it is so aggrevating when your having dinner or simply playing games & the kids have to stop to text their mom back. Mainly because they don't want to hurt her feelings. She texts them things to inform them whats going on at her house, or asks them questions like "did you wear your seatbelt"?  It's like the 6 days out of the month we actually get to spend with them, she controlls it. When we ask the kids to please put their cell phones away while their here.....guess what....we are a bad person. Their mother always tries to find ways to upset us & make her yourself look like the "i'm just a caring mother & want the best for my children".  When we ask to not call & text while they are with us she says they are her children & she has the right to call & text them anytime & as much as she wants.
I wouldn't suggest telling them to put their cell phones away completely, however if you are eating dinner they shouldn't be using their cell phones.  This is a common courtesy I think we are lacking.  No one should be using their phones durring a family dinner.  Period.  This can also apply to time playing a game.  They can check their phones after dinner.  After the games.  How old are these kids?  Are they constantly texting and calling friends as well?  I would just put a limit on it but put it in regards to general common courtesy and respect for those we are in current company of.  I see adults interrupt dinners, conversations etc. and think it is very rude.  There is no reason she can't go a couple of hours without talking to her children if they are happy and well taken care of in your home.  
My suggestion might not be what other would say but since they did not hae cell phones before & managed not to be in contact with their Mom for the whole weekend (God forbid, LOL) See if your husband can call their Mother & say "from now on, the rules at my house are NO CELL PHONES, so they will have to leave them at home when they are visiting, we have a phone & if you or they need to call we have a house phone, the texting is to much & distracting from the little time we get to spend with them." Hopefully she can repspect that & stick to it.