Stomach Cancer Community
Are polyps in the stomach cancerous??

WELCOME TO THE STOMACH CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Stomach Cancer, Prognosis Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options.

Are polyps in the stomach cancerous??

Hi, I am a 42yr old woman suffering with swallowing food, i feel almost everything gets stuck and i end up being sick, it hurts around my chest area and in between my shoulder blades...I have had a gastoscopy which showed polyps, a biopsy has been taken and I am now awaiting the results, I also lost my voice since having the test done 2 wks ago...which the doctors say is not normal but do not seem to be bothered about either..I also had a barium swallow 3 days ago and am also awaiting the results. But I'm really worried the polyps could be cancerous. Has anyone else lost their voice after a gastoscopy or had stomach polyps???
Thanks for reading...
Hi there!

GI polyps could either be benign, malignant/ cancerous or benign with malignant potential and usually further evaluation with a biopsy is required to determine its nature which would decide the mode of management. The voice loss is unlikely to be related to the gastroscopy and is likely to be related to a URT infection/ inflammation. You may consider getting this evaluated by a primary care physician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!