Stress Community
Any Help Is Appreciated

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

Any Help Is Appreciated

Hello All,
First off, thank you for reading my post and I apologize for how long it is.  
For the last year and a half I have basically been living in agony.  It started one day at work where I felt this weird sensation throughout my body, almost like a wave of heat and then felt like I was going to black out.  I went to the ER and they told me I was fine and was just having a panic attack.  That same night I went into a full blown "attack".  Sweating, feeling faint/lightheaded, shaking, muscles feeling like they were cramping etc.  Went to the ER and was told again that it was anxiety/stress.  I went a few days of feeling better but then it all went down hill.  Basically, for the last 18 months I have had: headaches, dizziness, lightheadedness, feeling off-balance (like on an elevator), sharp pains throughout, muscle fatigue, muscle spasms/twitches, all kinds of GI issues (i.e. acid reflux), blurry vision, feelings of what I assume are "hot flashes", skin breakouts, sleeplessness, red palms (sometimes red and white blotches), all kinds of aches and pains.
Been to tons of docs and so far nothing found.  I have never been sick in my life except for the occasional stomach bug or cold.  Now all of a sudden its all raining down on me.
I will say I have had a pretty stressfull last 10 years or so.  So my question is, could years of stress/anxiey cause all these physical issues?  I am pretty educated and know of the effects of stress and anxiety on the body and mind but I just cant wrap my head around it.  I though that I would be over it by now but it seems to be getting worse.  Anyone out there going through or has gone through this?  I would love to see what others have done or been told.  Pleae let me know of any suggestions as my quality of life is now pretty much non-existent.
Thank you and God bless.
Hi there,
You sound a lot like me for the last 10 years.

If you have gone to doctors, have been tested for everything and they cant find whats wrong...most likely is panic disorder.  I have been in the uncertainty of this disorder for a very long time and I am finally understanding my body and how it reacts to everything around me.

I think your panic disorder is aggravated because you don't know what you have yet.  You dont understand it and that fact makes the condition worse.  It's a chemical imbalance that must be treated, and it is a combination of psycho therapy and medication (by experience).
I was like you, when it first happened to me I went to the ER more than 15 times in 2 weeks.  I was convinced i was dying of a heart attack.  Fact is that your brain is a very powerful organ and it controls your body and if it is out of whack your whole body will be too.

You need to visit a psychiatrist and they will prescribe you meds.  and they will make you feel worse at the beginning.  It all passes, it might take a few tries of different medication to find the one that will make you feel "normal" again.  this will not guarantee you will be panic free, but will ensure more than a couple of good days.  When having a panic attack you MUST talk to your self....breathe!  When I first heard of this breathing technique I thought it was a load of crap but during a panic attack I tried it and it went away!  Breathe in and count (in your head) 1-2-3-4, hold your breath 1-2 and exhale 1-2-3-4...do it as much or as long as you need to.  you will concentrate so much on this that you will forget you are having an attack.

You need to get help from a psychiatrist, is the most important and keep talking to people with the condition.  Fact is, you are not dying, is your brain going on "panic mode" because the part of the brain that takes care of your survival is out of sync.

Hope my rambling helps...
Lola
Hi,I have the same thing. I get all the annoying syptoms (symptoms)/sensations which in return freaks me out and I'v had plenty of trips to the ER. I was tested for brain anurisms, chest xrays, treated by a cardiologist and always the same answer, GAD (general anxiety disorder) and or panic attack disorder. I had a really hard time wraping my mind around it because the logical part of me would say to feel this bad something must be wrong. 3 years in and they have never found anything other then my heart rate drops to 50 for whatever reason but no treatment required. I tried EVERY medication there is and ultimately decided on .5 mg of xanax xr every morning. It doesn't get rid of it just makes them tolerable, and in that I mean I have not run back to the Er with a heart attack. I have dealt with every weird syptom (symptom) and know them all pretty well so I can cope when it happens. Lol in the beging I researched every horrid thing that could be wrong; cancer, tumor, arythmia, seizure. I called myself a cybercondriac. Thing is when I excepted that my head is just messed up and I have no control over this and I am not dying craziest thing happened, they got beter. I know what to expect and yes when it happens its still really freaks me out but some of the fear of dying went away. I don't feel "normal" like before but it's not as bad as I know it can be. So all I can say is hang in there eventualy it does get easier.
Best of luck
Thank you both for getting back to me.
I have done so much research and have diagnosed myself with so many conditions and diseases that I am going nuts haha.  I know that prolonged stress can have these effects on the body so my logical side tells me that is what is causing this but then my other side is full of "what ifs".  The weird thing is is that my symptoms are constant and I dont really get panic attacks.  I am gonna try to stop looking for "conditions" I may have and just try to heal my body and get my stress levels down.
Thanks again for the responses and God bless.
Absolutely stress and anxiety can cause all that you are going through.  I've had a few attacks and sought help of a medical professional almost immediately.  Where I think I found the most help was with this explanation.

Picture a box about the size of a shoe box.  Now picture stress that we are not dealing with correctly as those styro-foam packing peanuts.  As stress comes, it begins to fill the shoe box.  More stress and the box become more full yet.... pretty soon, the peanuts begin to fall out of the box and on to the floor.  That is what anxiety is.  The more peanuts that hit the floor, the more anxiety that we have to deal with.

For me, just having a label to what I was going through somehow lessened the anxiety for me.  I now knew that I was not having a heart attack or a stroke, but was suffering from anxiety.  Years later I had another attack, but I could see how that was provoked.  I just had a lot of things going on all at once and was having a heck of a time dealing with it.

The deal with stress is, what may be stressful to me may be a walk in the park for you.... or vice versa.  This totally depends on the individual and this is exactly where a mental health professional can help you weed through your stress and help you handle it, instead of putting it in the shoe box.  (My therapist told me that the clinical term for putting things in the shoe box is "compartmentalizing".)  When we properly handle and or accept the situation that is causing us stress, it doesn't go into the shoe box, and we see it as handled.

Go find a reputable mental health professional in your area.  Also, do a bit of research for programs where there is a bit of financial assistance.  When you find a professional, pull no punches and tell them exactly what is going on in your life.  This way, they can properly diagnose and come up with a treatment plan.

I wish you all of the luck I've found when dealing with my issues.
Thanks for the response.  Its just been so crazy.  I know people usually say "I never have been sick before" but in my case its true so all this has been very trying.  I never had anything more than the ocasional stomach bug or cold every few years.  I guess now looking back I see how over the last few years I have neglected not onlymy physical health but my mental and spiritual health as well.  So I guess I am left at this point.  Its just hard to go through each day feeling like I'm dying.  I used to up to a year ago play sports and go to the gym at least 4 days a week, I was very active socially, physically and at work and now its like I'm a ghost.  I get tired just walking up a flight of stairs and my heart rate is usually beating in the mid to high 80 bpm when it used to be in the low 60 bpm.  That is just one of the many. MANY, weird things going on  in my body haha.  I guess step 1 now is realizing what has caused all this and get to the core so I can heal mentally and physically.  I will definitely look into some professional help.
Thanks to all who have responded.  I hope God blesses each and every one of you.

I'm sorry to be an intrusion or bother  but I'm in sever need of an opinion I'm 17..........Has anyone experienced the sensation in  a way that you can feel your arms like vibrate/tremble? I swear it seems to move up and down my body and sometimes I can feel it in my head when I lay down at night. I have this feeling almost like my heart is beating in my stomach it'll just move like a rapid twitch but feels like my heartbeat.  I also get a prickly/tingling feeling in my hands and legs and I almost feel like my hand is weak or something. These syprs have happening  for a week followed by 2 weeks of waking up lightheaded, having eye problem, sleeping for long periods and still feeling tired and having that last all day. Lightheadedness has gone but now this is scaring me. I'm really terrified could anyone say if they experienced the same thing??? I've been tested for a thyroid problem, anemia, viruses, and a couple of other things everything came back normal. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it may be a sign of MS my mom and her aunt both have it. Please someone help! I'm terrified I may have something terminable or even ALS..maybe I'm overthinking(I have bad anxiety) but I know my body and something wrong please someone anyone help I've been searching for answers and no one can seem to find any. All I find are old forums ...,,My dr doesn't know what to he won't call my house back......I know u guys aren't doctors but I can't find anyone willing to take time to try help me make sense of this
Report